Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I.V. Immunoglobulin and Plasma Exchange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I.V. Immunoglobulin and Plasma Exchange

Just wondering if these two treatments are the same thing or are they even similar. I have read several threads where some of you were critically ill and were given plasma exchange and it saved your lives. I have always wondered why they never gave it to my dad until I remembered they gave him i.v. immunoglobulin at one stage and began thinking if maybe it had the same type of affect. I would like to think that he had been given every possible treatment going and that he didn't miss out on something that maybe could have made a difference.
    Would appreciate any of your knowledge, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plasma exchange involves your own blood being removed-more to it than that. Iv immunoglobulin is like a blood transfusion.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watersedge View Post
    Just wondering if these two treatments are the same thing or are they even similar. I have read several threads where some of you were critically ill and were given plasma exchange and it saved your lives. I have always wondered why they never gave it to my dad until I remembered they gave him i.v. immunoglobulin at one stage and began thinking if maybe it had the same type of affect. I would like to think that he had been given every possible treatment going and that he didn't miss out on something that maybe could have made a difference.
    Would appreciate any of your knowledge, thanks.
    Actually, these two treatments are exactly the opposite. Plasma exchange attempts to remove offending antibodies; IV immunogloblin supplements antibodies that are in short supply. It is used with certain acute infections and some autoimmune diseases, like Kawasaki disease. I have never heard of its use with WG and similar diseases, as they are associated with too many antibodies (ANCA).

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Actually, these two treatments are exactly the opposite. Plasma exchange attempts to remove offending antibodies; IV immunogloblin supplements antibodies that are in short supply. It is used with certain acute infections and some autoimmune diseases, like Kawasaki disease. I have never heard of its use with WG and similar diseases, as they are associated with too many antibodies (ANCA).

Al
    I had 6 ivig treatments. They were due to my wbc being dangerously low.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delorisdoe View Post
    I had 6 ivig treatments. They were due to my wbc being dangerously low.
    I just thought of an esoteric way IVIG could be useful for mitigating some kinds of inflammation. It has to do with binding Fc receptors. I'll look into this....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked and felt like poo. I had Ivig because I was very weak. Within 3 months of these treatments I was off all weg meds except bactrim. Just a coincidence I have been told
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upon further research, it appears that iVIG can be used to modulate the immune system, to some advantage with a whole range of autoimmune diseases, including WG. The actual mechanism of action is not understood, but could have something to do with my idea of binding the Fc receptors, preventing the ANCA from doing the damage. I can also conceive of IVIG being considered as an adjunct to plasma exchange. Once the endogenous anitbodies, both beneficial and otherwise, are cleared, the can be replaced with just beneficial exogenous antibodies, possibly reducing rates of infection.

Interesting subject, though, like everything else in our world, complicated. I'll let you know if I learn more!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, it is quite confusing, I've tried several times to look it up myself but just get confused. He only had one cyclophosphamide dose and caught pneumonia and ended up in intensive care, he was too weak for the second dose of cyclo after that so that is why they said they were giving him immunoglobulin instead if that sheds any light on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Watersedge,

I just had 5 IVIG treatments as my lungs were full of blood and was told that it would control and stop the bleeding and it did the job. After those treatments I was given 4 of RTX.
    I also had cyclo treatments, 7 in total, and after the 7th one my lungs had started to hemorrage.
    It is really confusing and I don't think it gets easier.

Harvi
    Harvi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watersedge View Post
    Thanks guys, it is quite confusing, I've tried several times to look it up myself but just get confused. He only had one cyclophosphamide dose and caught pneumonia and ended up in intensive care, he was too weak for the second dose of cyclo after that so that is why they said they were giving him immunoglobulin instead if that sheds any light on it.
    If I am to compare it to my experience than that seems right to me. I was given ivig for the same reason-too sick/weak etc. I was only 28 so I think maybe that is why I benefited unlike your father.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast