Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting exercised

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, everyone. In general, I agree with all the advice: Exercise and stay active, but not to the point of adding extra stress to already stressed systems. I maintain, however, that, while acknowledging the caveats and cautions, some weight work (at least, light-duty) is desirable to combat bone density loss.

My bigger point, I think, is that almost nothing seems to be written about exercise in the context of autoimmune diseases. Given the fact that those ailments are almost certainly on the rise, this would seem to be fruitful field for research.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do what you can. If you can't breath, then I suggest exercising the remote.......lol
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And being Batman has a few advantages like not having to exercise.......lol
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    And being Batman has a few advantages like not having to exercise.......lol
    Though you do have to go to all those conventions in a cape...!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no, I do not use the cape for conventions.....lol, I just go as Bruce.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"some weight work (at least, light-duty) is desirable to combat bone density loss."

I take two tablets a day of Adcal/Natecal which is calcium carbonate and vitamin D3 and once a week (today actually) 70mg of Alendronic Acid. These are to help protect against bone density loss. However I agree that if one can do some exercise it is better than popping pills all the time. Plus you should feel pleased that good old WG is not in total control.

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think weight work, light or heavy, goes a long ways. I do light reps at least 3 times a week, mostly upper body. Also have added 3D exercises: basically lunges and thrusts (however haphazard they may be!) at different 'working' angles of the body...had a very good PT and he introduced me to these. Anyway, my point is: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have recovered or be on the road to such if I hadn't been working out. I know it takes time and effort and some days, none of us have that in us...sheesh! But, it does while away the time, takes focus off the disease, pumps adrenalin into the body, sorts out other ills be they physical or mental/emotional. Just keep working out...even if it's a walk around the block...helps so much! Also, stretch...stretch, then stretch some more! Always good for ya!! Right up there with chicken soup!! LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    I think weight work, light or heavy, goes a long ways. I do light reps at least 3 times a week, mostly upper body. Also have added 3D exercises: basically lunges and thrusts (however haphazard they may be!) at different 'working' angles of the body....Right up there with chicken soup!! LOL!
    I had a practitioner show me some Tai Chi and Qigong exerises, which I enjoy a llot. They are low impact, but greatly relaxing, and they do wonders for my lungs. (You don't have to be a "Qi" enthusiast to get some benefit!)

I think there are two kinds of signals to be aware of in exercising. One is that suggested by many in this thread: listen to the body when it says, "enough!" The other kind is the internal chemical signalling system. It is known,for instance, that at a certain level of intensity, the released chemical messengers promote BDNF (Brain Derived Neutrophic Factors), VGF (Nerve Growth Factor), and Dopamine (The "feel-good" neurotransmitter that is is short supply in Parkinson's; indeed, heavy aerobic exercise is now standard therapy for Parkinson's patients). With no movement, the necessary signals are not sent. It's like the body needs to be constantly reminded that it is still alive and kicking! Again, the trick is in balancing things: We are built to require some stress; but healthy people can overdo it without consequences; we can't....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dryhill: Calcium Carbonate is no good. Citrate is much better and find a good quality one from your holistic doc. Carbonate is not really absorbed much by the body where as Citrate is.

Dirty Don: 3D is no good. 4D is much better.........lol
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending upon your stage of recovery, you can get some pretty good guidelines from the PT and OT people working on your rehab program. At the rehab hospital, after I recovered enough to leave ICU and the medical unit, their purpose was to build enough strength so i could walk again and do some normal living activities and enough endurance to complete a small task without over doing it. They measured my heart rate and O2 levels frequently and had strict guidelines on how high my heart rate, respiration could go and how low my O2 levels could drop. If I went beyond these, I stated bleeding in my lungs again and that set back the whole program and destroyed any progress.

The next facility rehab program operated pretty much the same, but added more work on balance issues and fall prevention so I could operate more safely and reduce the risk of a fall since that would end me up back in hospital long term. They frequently tested for improvement in strength and endurance and charted all progress. It was easy to know that walking 30 yards was much better than walking 30 feet so every week you tried to do more without creating any damage to the body that would undo any progress. The exercise equipment all had settings to increase resistance or increase the time of any exercise.

I think the same principles could applied to more vigorous activities where you are talking miles of running and lifting heavier weights.

My wife though had poor luck trying a local sports medicine trainer to help her improve her endurance. They seemed to have little or poor appreciation of the physical limits many of have to deal with from our chronic diseases and health issues. They usually work with high school and college athletes and seem to have trouble recognizing our physical limitations.
    Last edited by drz; 11-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast