User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John has become a boring patient!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default John has become a boring patient!

Yesterday John had a check-up with Dr Falk at UNC as well as the Ultra-Sound on his legs to check for blood clots.

At the beginning of each appt John has to do a Urine Sample. When Dr. Falk walked in, he sits down, looks at John and says " Mr. Stover you have become a boring patient". (YAY)!
    He said that there was 1 plus trace of Blood in Urine (which he says a healthy person shows normally). He took him OFF of the cytoxan (another YAY). They did blood work but we won't get the results of that until today.
    The goal... Now that off of CTX his "B" cells should hopefully come back. Two things can happen at that time. (I'm sure most of you know this already) BUT, Either his body reacts normal (meaning they were able to "reset" his body) OR the horrible cycle of "fighting" will return once the "B" Cells are back. Infection is still a danger to John (Just because right now he has nothing in his body to fight it). That is why they are so adament with getting his immune system repaired ASAP especially going into the winter months.
    Last visit he tested ANCA negative. The ONLY things left to show from the disease is.... .(Of course his HUGE weight loss) but also the numbness in his feet and hands. His pulmonologist says that his lungs "should" heal. The nephrologist says that his Kidneys MAY get a little better however chances are they will still show damage. However the damage he will have remaining will not prevent him from living until 90 (his words ). His Cardiologist says that the aneurysm "may" possibly heal itself ONCE all the inflammation from the disease diminishes. He is still on 2 BP meds, 1 chlorestrol med and 1 dierutic med. His BP yesterday was 118/83 (From 180/120). We were told his BP will probably NOT be an issue once the disease is in "Remission". He still has some "Tunnel" hearing in his right ear (Muffled) and his nose seems to RUN constantly, but he doesn't complain!
    His Ultra-Sound showed NO clots (Thank God)!.
    He goes back in December for another follow-up.

This is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ways from where he was a few months ago. I literally felt we would NEVER make it to this part. The saying "What doesn't break us makes us stronger" has definitley proven right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most excellent news, Stephanie! I am very happy for you and John! Yes, the best chance of avoiding a relapse is to avoid new infections, so sta away from large, rowdy crowds of questionable repute! (I know this is easier said than done, but, hey, now you have an excuse! (My wife hates it when I claim to be a "Sick Old Man", but I contend that I have a right to use that line, for convenience, whenever I want to, as in "don't wanna go to the Johnson's party [clean the garage, go shopping, whatever]--I'm a Sick Old Man!") Here's hoping that I can toast John when he turns 90, which would make me...uh....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would make you still a young man yourself!
    I use John as the excuse ALL the time. "I'm sorry we can't attend your dinner, but John can't be around crowds and I HATE to leave him home alone"....
    Sad I know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie78 View Post
    Would make you still a young man yourself!
    I use John as the excuse ALL the time. "I'm sorry we can't attend your dinner, but John can't be around crowds and I HATE to leave him home alone"....
    Sad I know!
    (Chortle!!) Good for you, Stephanie--you are pretty quick, learning to play the system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im so happy for your family. I remember sheding tears for John and now I have a big smile for your family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your story will give hope to those who will come to this site in the future desperately searching for hope. I know you had your doubts if John would survive this...we all did! So glad that he has turned the corner and he has become "boring" at least to the docs!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations on John becoming a boring patient. YEAH!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sooo glad, John has become a boring patient. Good luck. I pray that he won't suffer any relapse. Rudi K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay!!! Boring is better Congrats!
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing the great news. I know it has been a long and stressful ordeal and it is great to hear things are finally starting to settle down into the boring routine. Nice to be out of crisis mode, isn't it?

Any big plans for celebration in a germ free environment somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast