Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor RANT!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Ever come away from a doctor's appointment thinking that was a complete waste of time and money!!!!...and your self esteem in your boots!!!!
    Yes, Rose--I think we all have. After being Johnny Meek about it for a while, I decided that, since I am the doctor's employer, I should do as any good boss: Say calmly but directly, "I am disappointed. I don't think we have dealt with the problem. I would like you to try harder." True, most doctors are not used to hearing that line and don't know how to react, but, really, there is only one way to react properly: "I will do my best." Only thing is, then you have to be able to define the problem. That could be as simple as, "if the tests don't tell why I hurt, then they are the wrong tests." In fact, it took Drac (my blood-taking nephro) three sets of tests to nail my ailment. To his credit, he did keep going after it until it was found, at which time I felt vindicated; if still sick as a dog, I at least had my self-esteem, and my boots were ready for some kickin'!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the best Wegs doc now and many other good docs so I have not had to rant or put on in place for a while. The last 2 just dumped me, so that was fairly easy.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And being Batman helps as well because most people are intimidated so they don't tend to piss me off.......lol
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Yes, Rose--I think we all have. After being Johnny Meek about it for a while, I decided that, since I am the doctor's employer, I should do as any good boss: Say calmly but directly, "I am disappointed. I don't think we have dealt with the problem. I would like you to try harder."
    Al
    The first rheumologist (well known in my area) I went to said he wanted to retest my blood work by sending it to Mayo Clinic and prescribed me medication. After leaving I realized the medication was not safe for my kidneys and didn't fill it. When I went for a follow up he yelled at me for not taking the med (very high dose Motrin) and said my results were normal. When I asked for a copy he replied I didn't need it, as he just told me. I demanded a copy and he said get it on the way out and come back in six mths if you want. When I got them to give me a copy, it was from a rinky-dink local lab that had no values on the report..just positive or negative. Of course I never went back. Lesson learned - always investigate everything and fire when needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trudy View Post
    The first rheumologist (well known in my area) I went to said he wanted to retest my blood work by sending it to Mayo Clinic and prescribed me medication. After leaving I realized the medication was not safe for my kidneys and didn't fill it. When I went for a follow up he yelled at me for not taking the med (very high dose Motrin) and said my results were normal. When I asked for a copy he replied I didn't need it, as he just told me. I demanded a copy and he said get it on the way out and come back in six mths if you want. When I got them to give me a copy, it was from a rinky-dink local lab that had no values on the report..just positive or negative. Of course I never went back. Lesson learned - always investigate everything and fire when needed.
    Good for you, Trudy. It's worth noting that in most areas, doctors must, by law, provide copies of lab reports to patients. As for reputation, John Wilkes Booth had one too, though I personally wouldn't trust him as a theater critic.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    And being Batman helps as well because most people are intimidated so they don't tend to piss me off.......lol
    LOL Phil!
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Yes, Rose--I think we all have. After being Johnny Meek about it for a while, I decided that, since I am the doctor's employer, I should do as any good boss: Say calmly but directly, "I am disappointed. I don't think we have dealt with the problem.! Al
    Just returned from an appointment with, I thought, my soon to be ex Rheumatologist but I took your advice Al and pointed out to him a few things which I was unhappy about concerning the handling (or lack of) my recent flare.....the main problem that he never returned my calls .(seems there was a communication problem between him and his receptionist) He apologized profusely, proceeded to tell me what I must do the next time I have a problem and he promised to contact me that same day. He was very concerned about the flare, confirmed that it most certainly was a relapse, chatted about what he will do should it happen again and I left there thinking that I really am in good hands. So, Ill stick with him and after this experience I have confidence to no longer be a Mrs Meek and speak up in the future should I feel dissatisfied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you, Rose!! I applaud your courage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats Rose, takes guts and fortitude to do the right thing for your self sometimes! You are on the right track now, and may have well opened a new world for your doc too! Hehe! I've found that IF I initiate the docs will respond, but they seem to be taking the tack that they need to see me react and explain and question...then they respond, so far so good! sheesh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Congrats Rose, takes guts and fortitude to do the right thing for your self sometimes! You are on the right track now, and may have well opened a new world for your doc too!!
    Just said that more or less to my husband. I feel it is the beginning of s new relationship. He even started calling me by my first name!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast