Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flares

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trudy View Post
    I know most of my 'Triggers" for Lupus, but would also like to know if more experienced Weggies know any definite triggers for WG....What I am really curious about is - sometimes my Labs are fine and my breathing, joint pain, nose crusts etc. are all worse. Does anyone have this happen?
    Trudy--no one knows, definitively, the specific triggers for either the original onset or relapse. However, in general, relapses are highly correlated with serious infections, like bronchial viruses or bacterial infections. (Bacterial infections are also suspects for priming the immune system in the first place, though there could be other triggers as well.) As for your other question, the lab work does not tell everything, even if the tests are pretty comprehensive (and much of the time they are hardly complete). the overt physical evidence is much more important--particularly for the sufferer!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think doctors generally agree that flares often seem set off by stress to the body. The stress may come from an infection, illness, serious life crisis, injury, or a medical procedure like an operation which is why they are very cautious about having any invasive surgery unless it is really necessary (medical emergency) or until you have had a longer period of remission and are on lower dosage of any maintenance drugs. But sometimes they seem to happen at random for reasons like the old Persian Proverb,-- because the sky is so high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I think doctors generally agree that flares often seem set off by stress to the body. The stress may come from an infection, illness, serious life crisis, injury, or a medical procedure like an operation which is why they are very cautious about having any invasive surgery unless it is really necessary (medical emergency) or until you have had a longer period of remission and are on lower dosage of any maintenance drugs. But sometimes they seem to happen at random for reasons like the old Persian Proverb,-- because the sky is so high.
    This is true. Yet there are real reasons to suspect that some infections directly wound the immune system, in addition to the indirect route through added stress. Still, the proverb quoted here is apropos.

Al

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123