User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: marley and me( the movie)

Doug Guest

The best gardeners, I think, are willing to experiment. Bananas don't grow in Minnesota. A good gardener would take that basic truth, determine what about Minnesota is deleterious to banana growing in Minnesota, spend the $30,000 to add a solar room on the south side of the house, fix it up with grow lights to simulate tropical days (roughly 12 hours a day sun, year around), plant the bananas, grow the bananas, hand pollinate the bananas, grow the fruit to ripeness, bring the sceptical neighbor in and say, "See, I told you you can grow bananas in Minnesota!" For me, it was grow lavendar in Zone 4, when none I know is that hardy (Zone 5 or warmer....). It took five attempts, thirty plants, but I finally found a microclimate in the yard where one plant grew! "See, you can grow lavendar in Zone 4!" It's insanity!
    Last edited by Doug; 03-30-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Doug, Oddly enough, I used to be pretty emotional most of my life, but somehow the pred makes me feel I don't want to put up with crap. I have usually gone along with other peoples wishes, but now have no problem saying I want something else. For me this isn't all bad, I think I've spent a lot of my life being a people pleaser and not really thinking about my own needs. I also find it's easier to clear stuff out of my life that I've tended to hang onto for sentimental reasons. I don't like some of the physical affects, like the tendency to shake, or the bloating in the various spots, at least my dose is getting down again a little, so hopefully I will get back to normalish. Sleep is a problem, it's all over the map. I'm trying to stick to the Zone diet, so have pretty well held the same weight which I guess is some kind of success. Germaine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew lavender in Calgary. I don't know what zone it is, but I had tried many times then a woman I met said she had some lavender that would survive the winter. She gave me some, and it did grow. I never knew what kind it was. Now that I live on the west Coast, lavendar grows easily. I'm going to buy some this year for my balcony box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, nothing grew for me in Calgary but when I moved to Mission I had roses blooming in middle of December (well not this year)
    Andrew, your wife a woman after my hart
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

Seems you have the Japanese Current (?) or some such warming you folks along the Pacific Northwest coast. I know my brother in N. Calfornia and my sister in Seattle have much milder weather than I, here in the center of the continent. Calgary probably has similar growing conditions (if a shorter growing season because of latitude) to what I have, or perhaps Minnesota, so you just need to build that $30,000 solar room, etc. if you want yer bananas! Haw!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123