Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ditto the newbie the status

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ditto the newbie the status

Hi guys, my name is Kathy and I'm from South Carolina, USA. I'm 57, widowed, currently unemployed- broke busted and disgusted, lol, sorry, normally a very positive person I've become unbearably cynical lately, I'm workin' on it. Anyhow, I was diagnosed the end of Sept., 2011 after having four flares between June and then. My primary interests are in animals and art. I worked for many years (18) in animal research and then another10 years or so as a farm manager, (llamas), and as a vet tech. I also have Hep C so the plan for my treatment is that I'm on 60 mg prednisone now and awaiting (hopefully) a freebie on the Rituximab. If I had one concern to ask others it is how the news of this disease was received by family members. Mine are completely ignoring it, and it really hurts, I feel so alone, at this point I don't know if I'm taking it too seriously or they are just not. I've come to think that the best thing for me is to just to let it go due to the stress it's causing me, I hate asking for any kind of help and definitly never expect anything from anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kathy,
    Welcome. Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with this, but you've found a great site for support and information. I was diagnosed almost a year ago, and these wonderful people have helped me tremendously...I hope we can all do the same for you.
    I'm with you, I'm usually very upbeat and positive, but since diagnosis, I've been much more cynical. Partially adjusting to my new life...and mostly because of Prednisone!
    I'm sorry to hear that your family is not being supportive. You are not taking this too seriously. Wegener's is a serious condition and shouldn't be taken lightly.
    my fingers are crossed that you can get RTX, and be on the road to recovery!
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kathy,
    I am very sorry to hear about the lack of support from your family. One way of getting themtaking notice is to let them know that you have a very good life assurance policy that will pay out, say $2m and that you have still got to make out your will. Now that should get them all round to see how you are and if there is anything they can do for you.

Your story makes me realise how lucky I have been with support from family, friends and neighbours. Recently I came home from having chemo to find my neighbour (who has keys to my house) had found the key to my garden shed, filled the mower with petrol and cut my grass for me!
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The thing about us Weggies is that we don't really look that sick. not unless we're hospitalized for kidney failure or something of the like. I guess I was fortunate in the sense that my family and friends are of the Google generation...when i was first diagnosed instead of asking me what Wegeners' was (which is a good thing because I really didn't know at the time) they went straight to Google. The first few sites had really old information about 5 year mortality rates, etc. Anyway...everyone took it very seriously and thought I only had a few years to live. Of course that isn't the case...and had to give new updated information to people...but the impression about the disease was made and no one questions the severity of it.

So perhaps the next time anyone asks you anything about WG...just tell them to Google it . For whatever reason, the sites with the dated information are the ones at the top .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi elaphe, welcome to the group! Like you, I have also struggled to remain positive at times. I've had a rough go with Wegs since I was dx'ed in 2006. I'm sorry your family doesn't understand. My own family left me 3 months after dx, so I have great sympathy for anyone who doesn't have good family support. On the other hand, the support I've received from friends has been incredible. I couldn't ask for more.

It's important for you to find a doctor who specializes in Wegs (as opposed to a regular rheumy). True for any of us, but particularly since you have the complication of Hep C. Let us know if you need help doing that. This is a wonderful group, with tons of support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement, it is truly appreciated! btw, I am really digging this site!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to second what Sangye said...I have little family support but I have a work family that is very supportive and sister in laws that undersatnd and are supportive...my inlaws are actually more understanding than my own family. My husband is hopeless and my poor boys are scared to death that I am going to die so the oldest ignores it and the youngest sticks to me like glue..they are 17 and 9....I almost died last year after 5 month from being diagnosised....I see Dr Specks at Mayo in Rochester, MN...he is great and truly a life saver...I have limitee WG ...so it is more difficult to treat since it pops up in the weirds spots .....right now I ahve tracheal , sinus , ears jaw and bronchiole involvement...they finally ruled out any heart involvement....i may have bladder involvement...need a tissue sample...it is either WG or interstial cystis...(bladder lining is disappearing)...and since we don t always look sick and tend to be stubborn and try to do all we can when we would actualy rather be in bed it is hard for people to understand.....joint pain ...fatigue...mad at the world that we can not have our old active life back ....bills and difficulty keeping our jobs ...it is felt by all of us...some are lucky like me to still have a job...so i guess I am just trying to let you know you are not alone..I was dx May 2010.....and trust me I never expected at age 44 to be where I am ...but it is what it is and atleast I am still alive...so try and keep your chin up...have a great day and listen to sangye ...she is a wise woman
    Want to see a miracle? Plant a word of love heartdeep in a person's life. Nuture it with a smile and a prayer and watch what happens...Never underestimate the power of the seed!

My mojo for today.....gonna be johnny apple seed and just keep planting
    Lisa Marie
    The happiness of people is not necessarily to have the best of everything...but make the most of what you have!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, thanks LisaMarie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elaphe56 View Post
    I also have Hep C so the plan for my treatment is that I'm on 60 mg prednisone now and awaiting (hopefully) a freebie on the Rituximab. If I had one concern to ask others it is how the news of this disease was received by family members. Mine are completely ignoring it, and it really hurts, I feel so alone, at this point I don't know if I'm taking it too seriously or they are just not. I've come to think that the best thing for me is to just to let it go due to the stress it's causing me, I hate asking for any kind of help and definitly never expect anything from anyone.
    I often felt pretty giddy and euphoric when on higher dosage of prednisone. If you are on 60 mg and still feel down much of the time, remember that a clinical depression is often a natural response when you have a serious or chronic health condition and you might wish to pursue an evaluation for this, especially you also cite some other major stressors in your life right now. I also found mental health counseling helpful in try to come to terms with with this lovely disease, and my second chance at life, even though it is a somewhat more limited style.

The most natural response for people when you tell them about your disease is a puzzled look on their face. But then I doubt few of us ever heard of it either until we were diagnosed. I found it hard to predict how people would handle the news about my illness. Some people I hadn't seen for years suddenly became very supportive, (some came to see me before I died) others who I thought might be helpful or supportive seemed scared off by my illness, probably because of their own issues and fears of their own mortality. The good news is that it will help you sort out who are really your friends, unless of course they are currently over whelmed with their own issues.

Welcome to the forum and best wishes for smoother roads ahead.
    Last edited by drz; 10-13-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey thanks for the reply, I don't get the "limited" thing though, doesn't sound limited...bare with me I really a newbie! Hope you have a great day as well and nice knowing Sangye is female, for some reason I thought she was a he, my bad!
    Last edited by elaphe56; 10-13-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: misspelled a word

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast