Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The new member of our fam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Oh, I thought it was a typo for "gramps", which we used to call our grandpa in a teasing sort of way. I didn't know about "grumps", although I did have a British-born grandpa, whom I wasn't as close to as the one I called "gramps".
    Actually, I will be making this up as I go along, having no real role model: Both my grandfathers were long gone by the time I was born, and both grandmothers had died by the time I started school. But, hey--how hard can it be?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Actually, I will be making this up as I go along, having no real role model: Both my grandfathers were long gone by the time I was born, and both grandmothers had died by the time I started school. But, hey--how hard can it be?

Al
    I imagine that being a grandpa is easier and in many ways more fun than being a dad. Congrats on the new addition to your family, and I'm sure you'll do just fine!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al, Congratulations on your good news. Haven't heard that ' Brit' expression 'grumps' for grandfather, mostly you hear 'granddad' and 'nana' for grandmother. I have two great- grandchildren, girl and boy 5 and 3, who are my delight. I just know you will be a wonderful grumps/grandpa/granddad

Fran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    Thanks, I am on my over to Labor and Delivery now, she just checked in with contractions 3 minutes apart. HIp Hip Hooray
    Yay, anytime now
    We look forward to some pictures in the very near future
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    Thanks, I am on my over to Labor and Delivery now, she just checked in with contractions 3 minutes apart. HIp Hip Hooray
    Congrats, Lightwarrior! So your great-grandchild and Al's grandchild will be close to the same age. Best wishes to the mother and child for a smooth and easy delivery.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Al, Congratulations on your good news. Haven't heard that ' Brit' expression 'grumps' for grandfather, mostly you hear 'granddad' and 'nana' for grandmother. I have two great- grandchildren, girl and boy 5 and 3, who are my delight. I just know you will be a wonderful grumps/grandpa/granddad

Fran
    Thanks, Fran! I should have said, "Some Brits of my acquaintance". Dunno how widespread this is. My kids used "Nana and Granddad"; who (ever) knows about the next generation? Don't think I have much of a shot at making it to the "great" stage, but I think this one could be a lot of fun.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al[/QUOTE]

You already know I'm a curmudgeon, Anne. I mean "grampa", or, as the Brits wold say, "grumps".

Al

...... Fran! I should have said, "Some Brits of my acquaintance". Dunno how widespread this is.

I have never heard of grumps, grandfather, grandad or grandpop for the male species, grandmother, grandma, nan and nana foir the female species. Al, your Brit acquaintances my have had a bad tempered grandfather because my dictionary defines the word "grump" as a colloquial noun for for an ill-tempered, surly person.

Of course it might be a very localised word. In some parts of northern England the word "scran" is used instead of food and in my village (and some parts of East Anglia) the word "twitten" is a path/passageway connecting two roads.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations Lightwarrior and Al. Now you can get your own back on your kids by really spoiling your grandchildren, do remember to give them nice noisy toys like a drum kit. It is also advisable to start going through all your photographs so when your granchildren are old enough you can show them embarrassing/incriminating photos of one of their parents. Oh revenge is so sweet.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    I have never heard of grumps, grandfather, grandad or grandpop for the male species, grandmother, grandma, nan and nana foir the female species. Al, your Brit acquaintances my have had a bad tempered grandfather because my dictionary defines the word "grump" as a colloquial noun for for an ill-tempered, surly person.

Of course it might be a very localised word. In some parts of northern England the word "scran" is used instead of food and in my village (and some parts of East Anglia) the word "twitten" is a path/passageway connecting two roads.

Jim
    Jim, I fully admit to being surly (and maybe even proudly so), not to mention crotchety, cantankerous, ornery, irascible, gruff, churlish, crabby, cranky, and sometimes even uncivil--though it is also fair to point out, once again, that I can identify with House, M.D., the ultimate bleeding heart misanthropist. Nevertheless, I feel obliged to point out that there is a difference between being "grumps" (pl.) and "grumps" (sing.). Dunno what this will make me to the kid. But he/she is, indeed, may indeed be indulged get a drum kit, or, perhaps even more fittingly, an accordion. Come to think of it, a harp may be the best payback of all. The parents would have to get a large station wagon for all those music lessons.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come to think of it, a harp may be the best payback of all. The parents would have to get a large station wagon for all those music lessons.

Al
    Oooooh wonderful, as I said revenge is sweet.

Jim

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast