Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coughing up 'plugs'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much lung function do most people have left after lung damage from Wegs? Some loss of function for major organs like kidneys, lungs, heart etc is part of normal aging process but Wegs really can do a number on these organs if it targets them. Has anyone got back to normal for their age after Wegs caused damage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We haven't tested my lung function for quite some time but it was supposedly in normal range a few years ago. I really don't see how that can be though. I can't take deep breaths, I get out of breath very easily, etc.... My lungs have never felt as clear as they were before Wegs. Not even close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My lung function is pretty good, apart from my peak flow which is abnormal because of the airway narrowing. How is was missed for 10 years with those distinctive lung function results i'll never know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get this all the time. Constantly hoarse and clearing the throat and blowing nose. Otherwise fine.
    Brendan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had a PFT since 2008 and was thinking of asking for another one soon. My lungs are no where near they used to be, SOB from a stairway, no long walks on the beach, etc. I don't think they can differentiate damage from WG or forty years of smoking. Diagnosed with COPD same time as WG. But remember drug free remission since June 2010 and hanging in.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, a CT scan can differentiate between smoke damage and WG damage in the lungs. Smoking damage appears more as a silt gathered usually at the bottom of the lobes while WG damage is usually in the form of lesions & interstitial 'marks' (I have no idea what doc meant by that!!). I've smoked, albeit sparingly (half pack a day, maybe - a closet smoker, etc.), for 45 years, docs pointed out that my lower right lobe has 12% damage from that time of smoking...hmmm, do the math, there are 5 lobes. Considering the kinds of jobs I've worked, the urban smog, and a few chemicals I've absorbed....not bad at all! LOL! No, please don't lecture on the pitfalls of smoking, I'm CRAZY, not dumb...hehe!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12