Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regular Blood Loss w/ Weg's:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Regular Blood Loss w/ Weg's:

Several have experienced this. Was told by a doc that slow blood "leaks" (how I put it) are not uncommon w/ Weg's. During my last hospital stay my blood count was 6.? which they bumped to 9.? I did feel better but wonder why they didn't give me enough to put me in normal ranges: 13-17. Maybe only so much blood at once is good. Sounds like transfusions when needed are the answer to this problem but no one said this .

Has your doc provided you with more info re blood "retention" and the treatment?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am probably wrong because it was so long ago for me but I think the idea is that you dont need to be bumped up to 13-17 because as long as you are bumped up to a certain level your body should be able to get you to where it needs to be from that point. I was somewhere around 4 I think. Long time ago though so I am not sure. also my problem was brought on from cytoxan and not wegeners itself.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default That sounds familiar too...

because I was on Cy and maybe that's what I'm thinking. May be going back after my Rit treatments. I'll keep an eye on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctor looked at me from accross the waiting room and said "oh my, I think we have a problem.' I guess you look pretty bad when you are that sick. I know I said 4 but that is only because I think lowere is impossible lol. 2 actually sticks in my mind 4 just sounds more believable.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 6.? my doc said much lower and I wouldn't be here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, that is why i think i am wrong about 2 but I know at the first follow up appt I was at 4.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall my Hg being about 5 to 6 on the scale. I had bled profusely into my lungs but at the end of 2 weeks in hospital I had 3 seperate blood infussions and have not looked back!
    Havent had a problem with blood levels since thank goodness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I've learned is that if you're not in normal range then you have bleeding going on somewhere. You have to assume it's Wegs. I was never in normal range for several years and everyone attributed it to chronic disease. It was smoldering Wegs.

They don't give you more blood because transfusions are incredibly risky. Not only can you have a reaction to the blood, but there are many infectious pathogens that can be transmitted through a transfusion. They use them with extreme caution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember my dad being given a blood transfusion and they had to stop it as he had was haemorraghing blood from his nose. Would he have had a reaction to it or could it have been from being on a blood thinner at the time because he was laid up in the hospital bed to prevent clots. I often looked it up on the internet and typed in blood tranfusions and nosebleeds but never really got an answer.
    Same thing as Sangye said about having a low blood count, we were told it means you are losing blood from somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By blood count do you guys mean WBC? White blood count?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast