User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Before You Began To Improve?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How Long Before You Began To Improve?

Hello Everyone. I'm Katie's grandma. She was just diagnosed with WG this past Wednesday. She is declining at an alarming rate and treatment hasn't begun at this point. She is seeing a pediatric oncologist/hematologist tomorrow. I am hoping he will admit her to the hospital immediately.

Once you began treatment with chemo and prednisone, how long did it take for you to begin to feel a little better? Any encouragement will be appreciated for we are all very frightened by her decline.

Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Cindy,
    I clearly remember taking the medication at 9 pm and within about an hour some of the pain was gone, and my nose felt clearer, the first relief in what felt like a long time. That was the prednosone. I was amazed. I improved rapidly for about a week, then gradually after that. When she starts to feel much better, be sure she rests enough so she will keep feeling better. The prednosone gives you false energy and makes it hard to sleep. At least thats what happened to me. As a grandmother, I feel deeply sad about her health, but want to say that with information and all the new medication, there is much hope I think. I will add my prayers for Katie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was started on IV prednisone (1,000 mg), which is as high as it gets. I was in severe pain all over for months, and within about 3 hours of the IV, the pain was gone. I didn't start the chemo for almost 2 weeks. But I was on such high pred, I was doing well (not counting the side effects, which were horrendous).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, what were the side effects from the pred? I've taken it myself for arthritis in my spine but that was only for a brief period. I know about the weight gain. What else does it do long term?

Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by germaine View Post
    Hi Cindy,
    I clearly remember taking the medication at 9 pm and within about an hour some of the pain was gone, and my nose felt clearer, the first relief in what felt like a long time. That was the prednosone. I was amazed. I improved rapidly for about a week, then gradually after that. When she starts to feel much better, be sure she rests enough so she will keep feeling better. The prednosone gives you false energy and makes it hard to sleep. At least thats what happened to me. As a grandmother, I feel deeply sad about her health, but want to say that with information and all the new medication, there is much hope I think. I will add my prayers for Katie.
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````

Germaine, thanks so much for the prayers and encouraging words. I will pass the info on to Laura about not over doing once Katie starts improving. God willing, that will be soon.

Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prayers are with Katie and all of you. Please let Laura know to talk tot he doctors. If Katie is feeling so bad, they must start her on prednisone . Your Daughter must talk to a rheumatologist as well as the oncologist. The biopsy should confirm Wegeners and treatment would start right away. good luck, I will think and pray for Katie all thru the day. I have two boys 21 and 24, and with just a flu one is having my hart is heavy. Warmst hugs to you.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma2Katie View Post
    What else does it do long term?
    Long term, the effects can be bad, but the alternative is worse. However, there are so many different treatment regimes that long term steroids may not come into it. I've had plenty of bad experience with Prednisolone ( see - http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c....html#post1353 ), but I keep taking it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hey Cindy...
    If she's declining rapidly then she really should be taken to emergency and a course of treatment started immediately. This thing can get worse really quickly and it sounds like it has gone past waiting for the docs.

As far as feeling better is concerned. I was in a coma for the first couiple of weeks and then in ICU for four more so I really didn't start feeling 'better' until after I was moved from ICU. Wtihin 5 months of diagnosis I was back at work though.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is now on the right track. She is in ICU at Baptist Hospital in Winston Salem. Prednisone and Cytoxan were started today. I will see her tomorrow along with her parents. Andrew, you gave me hope saying you were back at work after being so very ill. I pray for the same type of results for Katie. Thank you for the encouragement.

Cindy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you see Katie tomorrow, give her a big hug from a bunch of perfect strangers, would ya?

And hey now-- one thing at a time. She has to get better first. Then we can talk about her going back to work....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast