Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The How of Happiness!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The How of Happiness!

I found these hints on the internet in an email some one sent me. I think they can be very helpful as i have found several of the ideas seem to work for me. I enjoy watching the birds at feeders and sitting on the deck just looking at the flowers and listening (to what sounds I can hear) or feeling the wind. I try to go to some place where I can see happy people having fun and think about how fortunate I am to still be able to do that. I need to try some of the other ideas listed below.

(from The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky)
    The fact is you can increase your happiness level with intention and practice. Like anything that is repeated over time, happiness can become a habit!
    Gail Danchig, MA, the founder of Courageous Happiness®, teaches that by combining mindfulness, creativity and positive psychology, we can learn to better deal with challenging life issues and increase our level of happiness, resilience, optimism and well-being.
    Who wouldn’t want that?
    I asked Gail to share with our readers some of the exercises she uses in her Courageous Happiness® seminars that can become a part of a daily happiness practice.
    Five things you can do that will increase your Happiness:

1- Keep a gratitude journal – Each night, write down three things you’re grateful for from that day. They can be simple gifts and appreciations of the day or big meaningful events that occurred. As you go to sleep, go over the three gratitudes in your mind, taking in the good feelings associated with those you expressed.
    2 - Do something that stirs your creative juices, without letting the inner critic stop you from enjoying the process. Read or write a poem. Sing, draw or paint. Dance to your favorite music or new music. Try something you haven’t done before. Be wild and spontaneous!
    3 – Write down 10 things that bring you joy. Commit to experiencing more of them every week. Make a “joy” date with yourself or someone else, doing one or more of the things on your list. Do this without judging yourself.
    4 - Spend time in nature every week. Be present with the beauty of what you see, hear, smell and sense. Breathe it in. Later bring in the memory and experience of this place. Savor it. Use it as a resource for renewal anytime you need it. ( Read more: Your Personal Nature Meditation, , The Healing Benefits of Walking Barefoot, The Healing Benefits of Hugging a Tree)
    5 – Practice Self-Compassion by doing this loving-kindness meditation: Find a quiet place to sit or lay down in a comfortable position. Close your eyes. Notice what’s going on in your body, mind and emotions, being with the way things are without judgment and without trying to change anything. Notice any sounds or sensations. Breathe slowly and deeply into your heart. Say these words to yourself: May I be peaceful. May I be well. May I be safe. May I be happy. May I be kind to myself. Take a couple more breaths. Then open your eyes slowly, noting your experience.
    A commitment to a daily happiness practice is the ultimate gift we can give to ourselves. I encourage you to find time each day to use these simple yet powerful exercises and watch your happiness quotient grow!

Gail Danchig, MA, MFT, the founder of Courageous Happiness®, is a licensed psychotherapist, registered expressive arts therapist, educator and life coach, with a private practice in Marin County, CA. She offers workshops, groups and consultation in her studio and through various universities and agencies. To learn more about Gail’s work, go to www.CourageousHappiness.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a famous Buddhist quote "Whatever suffering there is in this world all comes from desiring myself to be happy. And whatever happiness there is in this world all comes from desiring others to be happy."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing drz.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if i can think of 10 things that bring me joy?? I am quite sure i willhave a hard time finding 3 things that bring me joy? Joy is a big word.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you serious, Leigh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leigh, that makes me sad .... if you are serious.
    Joy is all around me and you are one person that brings joy (and laughter) to this forum.
    I am sure you can find way more than 10 things that bring you joy....I know I certainly can.

Please say you are only joking
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delorisdoe View Post
    I wonder if i can think of 10 things that bring me joy?? I am quite sure i willhave a hard time finding 3 things that bring me joy? Joy is a big word.
    Your avatar brings me joy everytime I see it. I can't help but chuckle, yet I really feel like that little green being!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delorisdoe View Post
    Maybe you need to start with the self compassion if you are being that hard on yourself. Or are you setting the bar way to high for joy. For example, three things in last minute that gave me joy: seeing the hummingbirds at the feeder, seeing the colored peppers and flaming flowers on window box, seeing our old dog jump for joy when we give her a little attention, enjoying a cool refreshing drink. etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I am not joking. I have spent alot of time thinking about this since I read this post. Maybe as drz says it is my definintion of joy that is off. I have come up with only 2 things that make me feel joy. One is when I am fishing and a fish bites. I fish once a year at most so ha ha not too often. The second joy I feel is when my favorite nascar driver wins a race. I always go for the scrappy underdogs in any type of contest so again I am lucky if he wins one race a year.

By using drz's def of joy I do like my garden and I have 3 employees that make me laugh at least once a day.

I am not depressed but at the same time I am not happy nor satisfied. I try very hard to no avail I am afraid.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That might be depression, Leigh. It comes in a lot of shades.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast