User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rtx infusion finished...so why has old symtom come back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rtx infusion finished...so why has old symtom come back?

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone could advise me.
    I have just finished 2 rtx infusions last week. All went great.
    My sinuses seem to have cleared up a lot with just a very occassional headache in the one in the middle of my eyes. Also my sense of smell has come back.
    But a year or ago my eyes constantly watered. As in running down my face all day. That kinda of went away. But I have noticed since I increased the prednisone and have done the rtx that it started to come back again. Why is this? Surely it should be clearing up not reappearing. Does it mean that the wegeners is actively attacking tear ducts or could it be some weird side effect of the higher prednisone, MTX and RTX?
    Very worried as nose started to change quiet dramatically in June and afraid it will get worse.
    Thanks for any help. Sorry for rambling post.
    Yvonnea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I had excess tearing months ago but it finally seemed to get better. It seemed strange but part of the treatment was to use artificial tears several times a day. The eye doctor said my excess tearing was an attempt to help keep eyes moist as they were too dried out. I think it might have been related to higher dosge of Prednisone too as things seem to get better as prednisone tapered down. Many times I had trouble seeing from the excess water in eyes along with very blurry vision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yvonnea, the rtx takes at least 6 weeks (from the first infusion) to start working. Sometimes it takes even longer. The improvement you had in your sinuses is more likely due to the prednisone given during the infusion. That's what Dr Seo told me. Give it some more time and don't worry.

drz, That's very interesting. I hadn't heard that explanation. I know of several others in the group who had major problems with excessive tearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both my tear ducts are blocked so I am continually wiping my eyes of tears and puss. In the monrings my eyes are sometimes glued shut from the puss. I had tear duct surgery on the left eye a couple of years ago but it did not work. So I have decided I will live like this. I don't want to risk waking up the Wegs Dogs.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all so much for your replies.
    Drz, I think you maybe right.....it could well be the steriods, as it only came back when I increased them.
    Sangye...you are right...it takes RTX a while to kick in....I am not a very patient patient.
    And Phil, a year ago I was offered surgery too on the tear ducts...but refused...seemed way to painful, so like you I will put up and shut up on this one.