Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flu Shot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flu Shot?

Just wondering if you recommend getting the flu shot. This will be my mother's first winter after being diagnosed with Wegener's and neither her or anyone in our home have ever gotten it. I know most doctors really push for getting it but I wanted to know others opinion. She is currently on 100mg of cytoxan and will be switching at the end of September because her 6 months is up.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recommend getting it. I would just be careful as always with your health like using masks when having to go out in highly populated areas while on ctx for sure. And of course hand washing and using sanitiser when out of the house and not able to get to a washroom and trying not to touch surfaces in public areas, etc.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dead virus, yes get it. Live virus, then no..... Either way, be careful going outside in populated areas; airline flights, schools, nursing homes, etc.... And, if everything else phil said...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have several other threads where we've discussed vaccinations. I would not tell anyone to get a shot or not. I will say that I don't do them, because I don't believe research supports their efficacy or safety. It's important to study both sides of the issue, versus asking people's opinions. The CDC website gives info that is in favor of the vaccine. This is an excellent source for the risks and benefits, with all the statistics (ie, not just the ones the pharmaceutical companies want you to see).

At least 2 of our members believe the swine flu shot caused their Wegs or caused a flare. One of the known side effects of that shot is "vasculitis."

I take a lot of precautions and make sure to keep my Vitamin D levels in range (via blood test), since that is a proven way to prevent flu and minimize its severity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had the flu shots each of the last two years. Last fall/winter I was taking Cytoxan, and the year before that I had the HiN1 shot. At the time I was not diagnosed but in hindsight, the Wegener's symptoms were well underway, just not diagnosed.

As others have mentioned, make sure you watch out for germs, and being around people who may cough on you or transmit disease. I have now become a germaphobic based on those habits I developed whilst on CTX. I have a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car and use it every time I come out of a public place. For example, the buttons on the banking machines are high risk areas, using shared pens to sign credit card slips, door handles, and so on. It might be overkill but I feel safer trying to keep my hands super clean.

Good luck with it!