Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "White" Iodine Fights Infections & Flu Shot Question

Never had reason really to try this till now, but I heard a couple of years back (Paul Harvey News) that a drop of this applied between your nostrils can fight off infections entering through the nose. Gonna try this myself for the winter time.

Flu Shot Q: Do you get one?

Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flu Shot - yes, every year for the past 4 years since I've been on immuno suppressants - never had any reation to it other than not getting sick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flu shot-- no way.

Dr Seo monitors my Vitamin D level monthly and I make sure to keep it in range. Vitamin D is proven to prevent the flu and minimize the severity if you do get it. I also take other nutrients that support the immune system without boosting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been able to get the flu shot last year, or even this year due to being on Rituxan.
    Sangye, do you think I should be monitoring Vitamin D levels? I currently am not taking any vitiamins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I haven't been able to get the flu shot last year, or even this year due to being on Rituxan.
    Sangye, do you think I should be monitoring Vitamin D levels? I currently am not taking any vitiamins.
    Vitamin D is as important as calcium in maintaining bone density. Anyone on pred should monitor D. You can have low D levels even if you're in the sun a lot-- has to do with absorption of it. Low D can cause pain. Also, low D levels are common with AI diseases.

Mine was unbelievably difficult to get into normal range. It took months and requires me to take 10,000IUs a day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vitamin D has been low and sometimes I forget to take it. I am suppose to take 2000 units a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Flu shot-- no way.

Dr Seo monitors my Vitamin D level monthly and I make sure to keep it in range. Vitamin D is proven to prevent the flu and minimize the severity if you do get it. I also take other nutrients that support the immune system without boosting it.
    What things support it with out boosting it?

I read recently that mushrooms boost the immune system. Does that mean we should avoid them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Flu shot-- no way.

Sangye- Do you take vitamin D3 or vitamin D on a daily basis? I take a total of 1200 units of Calcium plus 800 units of vitamin D3 on a daily basis.

How many units of vitamin D3 would you suggest to take to prevent getting the flu? Also, what nutrients do you take to support your immune system? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to get the Vitamin D level tested to know how deficient you are. Then use a good quality D3 supplement. OTC brands are awful. They usually don't contain anywhere near what they claim to, and they're in a form that is poorly absorbed. That leaves you with very little D! I need 2,000 IUs a day to keep my D in range. I use a D supplement from Xymogen.

I don't use OTC supplements. I use supplements that are only available through healthcare professionals and are batch-tested for nutrient dose and safety. You can buy some of them online but I don't recommend that. It's as important to have a holistic doctor advising you on supplements as it is to have a medical doctor advising you on pharmaceuticals. Many people go to a health food store for advice on supplements. That's insane.

General supplements I take: multivitamin, fish oil, antioxidants, black currant seed oil, multimineral, vitamin D, calcium, B vitamins. (I'm on 2 diuretics so I take extra B vitamins in addition to the multivitamin. B's are water-soluble so they're flushed out.)