Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anemia / iron tablets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anemia / iron tablets

Does anybody have problem of anemia . just asking as it just seems to be one thing after another at the
    moment and another tablet to take. already feel wipe out with pred tappering down to 6 mg now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dee, I had anemia for several years even when the Wegs wasn't obviously active. We eventually learned that the Wegs was smoldering during those times. All my docs had thought the anemia was just due to chronic disease. Now I know that if my hemoglobin begins to decrease AT ALL my lungs are starting to bleed. The hemoglobin might still be in normal range, but if it's lower than 13 my lungs are not okay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sangye I knew you would put me on the right track. Hemoglobin down to 9.5 a week ago started taking iron 6 days ago and now back to 10.3 .wg consult rang this morning says I have to ring as soon as I have any problem as there is no obvious sign of anythings wrong ! .Will ring back on monday .
    Fed up today so going for a chineses take away as soon as hubby gets home thanks again.
    Last edited by DEE; 08-20-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome. Chinese food... yum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DEE View Post
    Does anybody have problem of anemia . just asking as it just seems to be one thing after another at the
    moment and another tablet to take. already feel wipe out with pred tappering down to 6 mg now.
    I have had anemia for several years now due to kidney damage from diabetes and then last year the Wegs really wiped out my kidneys and with the heavy bleeding in the lungs I had many transfusions trying to keep it close to double digits. I found when it got under 9 I couldn't hardly function either mentally or physically. I know hospital staff got concerned when I was in the 5 or 6 range HGB.

My first month out of hospital I got transfusions every weekend. It took a while to train the ER doctors but after two weeks they would give me the transfusion without waiting for the lab results to show the need since they knew what was happening. They could hear the bleeding in my lungs too I guess.

After i left the nursing home they set me up to get Epogen shots to treat the anemia if my HGB got under 10 since they didn't want me to have any more transfusions if possible since they said I had had way too many. I almost got a shot once at 9.8 but the results a few days later showed HGB was up again so I never got the shot. Now my HGB is up around 13 most of the time and that is the highest readings i have had in two years.
    Last edited by drz; 08-20-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=drz;45831]. I found when it got under 9 I couldn't hardly function either mentally or physically.
    Thanks drz thats exactly how i was feeling last week , I was having to overthink things just to achieve them. !! Alittle better now Im taking the iron .will have to see how things go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dee, in case you have trouble with the iron pills (they can be very constipating) you can have blackstrap molasses. It's very high in iron. Gotta get the blackstrap kind though, not just molasses.

Before I was dx'ed I was severely anemic, worse by the day. I was guzzling blackstrap molasses. If I hadn't been doing that I might not have survived at all. My lungs were hemorrhaging for 3 months by the time I was dx'ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already looked out the Movicol , the gave me it when I was in hospital once .Going to check with chemist that it does not affect any of my other tablets .Thanks Sangye always good to have other options .
    Hope things ok with you today DEEx