Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On Oprah today........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On Oprah today........

Today I had the day off and I watched Oprah. She had on some celebs that have been diagnosed with chronic life threatening illnesses. Her main guest was Montel Williams who has been living with mutiple sclerosis for 10 years.
    Anyway.........All these life threatening diseases such as WG have the same coping type symptoms and the same way to deal with the disease. Depression is a key factor in a chronic illness and all the celebs interviewed expressed a grieving period followed by a "new normal".
    As I read through some of the posts from the last few days....The new Normal is what comes up over and over again. This was the best advice I got when I entered this forum. It certainly changed my outlook.
    My WG has not hit as hard as others...but it is still a life changing event for a typically active person like myself. I tend to want to keep up my busy schedule and even make myself busier, maybe to prove this WG that I am the boss. Todays program and the posts from today have reminded me that even though I am in charge, I am not necesarily the boss.
    I can, however, decide how to deal with what I have been given and move forward from there.
    thanks for listening
    coffeelover, Lisa

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
    Today I had the day off and I watched Oprah. She had on some celebs that have been diagnosed with chronic life threatening illnesses. Her main guest was Montel Williams who has been living with mutiple sclerosis for 10 years.
    Anyway.........All these life threatening diseases such as WG have the same coping type symptoms and the same way to deal with the disease. Depression is a key factor in a chronic illness and all the celebs interviewed expressed a grieving period followed by a "new normal".
    As I read through some of the posts from the last few days....The new Normal is what comes up over and over again. This was the best advice I got when I entered this forum. It certainly changed my outlook.
    My WG has not hit as hard as others...but it is still a life changing event for a typically active person like myself. I tend to want to keep up my busy schedule and even make myself busier, maybe to prove this WG that I am the boss. Todays program and the posts from today have reminded me that even though I am in charge, I am not necesarily the boss.
    I can, however, decide how to deal with what I have been given and move forward from there.
    thanks for listening
    coffeelover, Lisa
    Now you are a fully initiated Weggie, I think! You are in charge of your WG, and the matter of who the boss comes down to your personal beliefs. As a Christian, I have had long "discussions" with God about the course of my disease and the treatment. It helped me immensely to find the inner peace that I feel now. Sangye speaks of our challenge as not one of fighting WG till we win but of floating to each "new normal" and finding inner peace there. I paraphrase her thought, but I think I got it right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
    Todays program and the posts from today have reminded me that even though I am in charge, I am not necesarily the boss.
    Excellent way to put it. I like it. I guess it's all about responding positively to the changes that the WG brings. Oh so much easier said than done but it's your mental state that can be the best assistance in coping with your new normal when your body is up on blocks.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oprah Show

I saw the show with Montel. I cried through the whole thing.
    I could feel his emotion when he came out thanking Oprah for having him on the show and getting the word out about these disease's.
    Like he said, people see us and we "look" as though nothing is wrong.
    He inspired me so much that I'm working on starting a support group for people with autoimmune disease. I know how lonely I feel sometimes and although the internet is great for getting support and to see how others deal with ongoing problems, it still doesn't replace a hug!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    I know how lonely I feel sometimes and although the internet is great for getting support and to see how others deal with ongoing problems, it still doesn't replace a hug!
    Absolutely agree. One day I'll meet another Weggie and we'll have a group hug

Let us know how you go with the support group and we can advertise it on here.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hugs for all

Will do, Andrew
    The closest support group in my area is two hrs away.
    I've talked to several people that say they would welcome some support.
    I don't know of any local weggies but several close friends with MS and some with thyroid disease.
    I'll let you know how things go. Thanks

Doug Guest

Default Weggies

That brings up a question: Has anyone on this support site ever met another Weggie? (I'm still waiting to meet one.)(15 seconds later: Yep, still waiting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    That brings up a question: Has anyone on this support site ever met another Weggie? (I'm still waiting to meet one.)(15 seconds later: Yep, still waiting!
    Nope, never ever. I've spoken to a couple on the phone but no in-person meetings.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here, I know of someone in Maple Ridge from our site here but never met them, Germaine is in Nanaimo, so maybe we can all meet one weekend.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Through Facebook I came across a girl who's only 2 years younger than me and went to the same school as my brothers and sisters, she still lives in the same town as my parents which is only half an hour away.
    We're getting to know each other online at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if I bumped into her shopping in town or at the hospital as we're both treated at the same place.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast