Thread: remission

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    You are making us all look bad by comparison! If you feel well, are doing well, and the medical signs suggest the "R" word, you probably are there. I think that idea- achieving "R"- becomes so important the first time around, that we sometimes miss the fact that we are starting to function more like our old selves again. I hope you are in remission, and keep up the good work!

Your probably joking, but I just want to make sure you know my motives are just to help give people inspiration and show that yes, it is possible to recover some if not all of one's previous life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless his Easter Lily has suddenly taken over his computer and is the one writing his posts, Doug is definitely joking.

We all want to hear how well people are doing, even if we ourselves are not! It's inspiring for sure. If I'm not doing well and someone else is, that can only make me happy. If we're all miserable at the same time, who's gonna pull us out of the mud?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KtheC, I'm glad you are in such good spirits, I think we all look forward to the day we can feel this way. Unfortunately for most of us it's just a dream, whether we call it our new BFF or our new normal, the truth is we are ill and will remain ill all of our life
    so hearing that some of us do get full remission keeps the faith alive. I look forward
    to the day I can say - I am in remission
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

KtheT- Sangye and Jolanta are right. I don't joke about remission. No, I realize you intend to give people inspiration, just as I intend to give you congratulations for missing out on some of the long time agonies others endure. You've had impressive recovery in the short time you've been with us, and that is reason to cheer! It also is inspiring, believe it. Hope is a precious commodity.
    Last edited by Doug; 04-26-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KtheC View Post
    As active as I am now, my doctors are very, very happy. The "R" word has never been mentioned. All that has been said is that I don't need to be afraid anymore. Though in my own little world in my head, I have to believe I am well into "R". I do work out hard in the gym, most other things I take easy. I am sure wear lots of sunscrean and am very careful about what I eat. I never drink soda, so that's a plus as well. Be positive! I know that is difficult, but it's what got me through and I was at deaths door.
    W00T!!! Congrats on the *cough* 'R' word I'm sure you're there and hope that you stay in 'R' for a good long time! Being positive can certainly help. With constant illness though it's very hard so good on ya for that too
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I originally posted, I have been following the replys, I am now on a LOOOOONG slow treatment program without any hickups along the way. I have been very careful about not overdoing things (mostly), but am surprised about no sushi? where is the harm in that. It seems there are many dietary things that aren't good, and although I eat a generally healthy diet, it seems many common things aren't good. I guess I better find out what foods have potassium in them?? What harm does that do? I have started tai chi to build strength as well as the walking. I am frustrated that I still have absolutely no stamina. It is encouraging that people are looking at traveling. It was one of my favorite things and I know I am not going to risk that for a good while yet, but the dream may remain. Germaine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eating raw fish (sushi) has always had the risk of some kind of bacterical infection and with immune supression this raises those risks, so my rhuemy said just don't eat it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're determined to have sushi, one thing you might try is taking digestive enzymes. They eat up any bacteria along with helping you digest your food. It's a good way for healthy people to avoid traveller's diarrhea.

Warnings : 1) It's not 100% foolproof-- you can still get sick. 2) Don't do it if you're on higher doses of pred (high enough that you still need to take prescription acid-blockers). It would be too hard on your stomach and could counter the effects of the drugs.

Since you're not going to stay on them everyday, you can get a cheaper brand. Something that says papain and/or bromelain is good. Take the recommended dosage with food. You can take a second dose in the following meal, too. If you get any stomach burning (usually mild), just eat more food. It means you have too many enzymes for the volume of food you ate. If it continues, don't take them again without getting a holistic doc's input.

If you take them and happen to feel pretty darn good (eg, fewer digestive problems, increased energy), then you have an enzyme deficiency and should consider taking a good brand daily with meals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12