Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wondering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wondering

I am new to this forum. I was first diagnosed with WG in 1982. It stayed in remission until March of last year. I am back in remission now. I have a sense that WG may occur to "very healthy" people (e.g., people with very strong immune systems that, for some reason, over react on a given day for an unknown reason). I have always been extremely healthy other than for this two occurences. I am 61 now.

Thus, I am wondering if anyone else believes that they were "very healthy" prior to WG...and may concur with me that this disease "only happens" to very healthy people. I would be interested in hearing if anyone who has this disease WAS NOT healthy "before WG?"

Just a thought.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question. I was also extremely healthy before Wegs. After a childhood where I rarely even got a cold, I had a bad couple years in my 20's when I lived in Africa. I had malaria three times and many other tropical delights. I'd had about 20 vaccinations in a short time in order to go, and I do believe the assault on my immune system and all those toxins changed things after that. I was never sickly after it, but something wasn't quite right. Still, I was very strong. Wegs was a real surprise for me and when those who knew me found out, they were shocked.

My JHU doc said 90% of his Wegs patients were very healthy pre-Wegs (no diabetes, heart disease, in good shape, etc...) and this is one reason why it's so much harder for us to cope with it. We're not at all used to being sick or taking drugs.

I have numerous factors that I believe contributed to Wegs developing : altered immune system from overvaccination and possibly the malaria (not only does malaria cause a false positive for several autoimmune blood tests, but it's also been known to precede them), toxins from many sources, and a couple of very bad falls that rattled my spine. (My first Wegs symptoms started within a week of the second fall.) And, appreciating the mind-body connection, I'd also have to throw in a lifelong history of anger and grief. Anger in particular "inflames" the mind, and I believe the body follows suit.

Whatever the cause, I joke that I always had a killer immune system, and now I have a "killer" immune system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

While not 'extremely healthy', I was quite fit (much, much fitter than now) although about 15kg overweight. In my childhood I'd had heart problems that stay with me to this day - more of a background thing than anything life threatening though. Was I healthy and fit though? I think so yes. I did also have an extremely high-pressure, long hours job that would have eventually killed me all by itself without Wegs coming into the equation

Dunno if I answered the question but that's how it was
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was fit and healthy in an average sort of way. No illness, not overweight, but not much exercise. No medical history worth speaking of.
    I was working on the coast in Italy and going swimming every day and think that I caught sinusitis from polluted water. I can only imagine that my immune system went wrong trying to fight off the infection. Who knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same as everyone eles really.no medical history just the odd cold nothing more.had a bad attack of shingles in sept 06 started feeling rough in december.as jack says who knows.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too was fairly healthy until the birth of my third child. I think stress is a big factor as I work in a stressful occupation and put quite a bit of stress on myself in general. (something I am trying to correct...a little to late)
    Good Question!
    coffeelover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was diagnosed back in October 2008 - at that point I was a 25 year old who was severely overweight and a moderate smoker. I'd never had anything other than the usual coughs/colds/flu and a couple of ear infections which in itself is probably quite remarkable. Although I was (and still am) overweight I was strong and could easily do an hour in the gym 3 times a week.

I think stress may have been a big factor in kicking the WG off in me, although doctors believe it was a throat infection which trigged my immune system to go into overdrive.
    My pet rabbit had just died at 6 months old which left me devastated as I bonded with her as much as a dog owner bonds with their companion. I then went through a couple of weeks of battling with a rescue centre to rehome another bunny which I believe certainly contributed to my ill health.

Not sure how well I answered the question either, make of it what you will - not overly fit and healthy but with youth on my side )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a pet rabbit too! HMMMM I wonder if there is any correlation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we saying rabbits cause WG?!

I don't know about stress and WG, my doctors don't seem to have an opinion one way or another and because I had the throat infection they see that as the leading cause.
    However when you're stressed you feel run which I guess affects your immune system.

PS: I did eventually get new bunny (2 days before being admitted to hospital) from rescue centre, she is lovely and has a wonky ear!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Perhaps the Monty Python boys had it right?

YouTube - Monty Python-Killer Rabbit
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast