Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wondering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my house it could be rabbits, birds, dogs fish you name it we have housed it. Thank goodness I am down to three dogs and 1 fish......
    I am always grasping for a reason for my WG.....but you know it could just be because it is....I still think there is a bit of an inheritance factor involved.
    Coffeelover

Doug Guest

Default olvents, pet bunnies, and stress

I was in excellent health up to the time I was diagnosed, at age 55, to have WG. I quit smoking five years earlier and picked up 13kg almost instantly (it seemed!). I'd worked, at time of diagnosis, 30 years in Quality Assurance (primarily data analysis and floor projects to address quality issues) in a factory that makes industrial and hydraulic hoses. In my early years there, I was exposed to several industrial solvents on a daily basis. There are at least two studies funded in this country (USA) to study the solvents concerned as possible WG triggers. There still is that issue of onset suggesting an infectious agent. In addition, periodically (but not now) in past I used to make collages out of odd photos I'd found in magazines. I made them for the amusement of friends. The paste I used was rubber cement. After learning of the studies, I checked my rubber cement bottle: it had one of the industrial solvents concerned! I mention this because I ignored the caution about skin exposure in a big way. P.S. I had not one but three rabbits over time when I was a kid! And my job, from which I just retired the end of January 2003, was very stressful.
    Last edited by Doug; 03-19-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband sold chemicals for a while and he brought cases home to store in our house. I always had a fear of them and maybe this is why?

I made him store them in the garage, but in the MN winters he had to store them in our basement. I still wonder if my exposure to chemicals in the air could be a precipitator to WG. There I go, grasping at straws again.
    And the rabbit situation???? well that is another issue altogether.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked as a Research and Development chemist in my early 20's. One day while cleaning the lab, we discovered a huge glass bottle with a very old piece of tape on it, labelled "Unknown Chemical." The fume hoods in the lab were later discovered to be broken. Beside that, I had a great deal of chemical exposure in my 20's. Preceded, of course, by the two rabbits I already mentioned.

For now I'll call it "The Chemical-Rabbit Hypothesis," but with the hilarious people on this forum, I'm sure we can do better. Hop in, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I was pretty healthy, gardening and walking and growing lots of organic things veggies. I did have minor high blood pressure, but had an odd incident a year and 1/4 before diagnoses, severe dizzyness, nausea and mildly pulsing chest pain over about 4 days. I was tested for heart disease and had a radioactive heart scan. Heaps of stess in my distant past, but happy mellow living for the last ten years. Maybe our pattern is a little too broad to tell us anything. Germaine

Doug Guest

Cool

p.s. Did I mention that I not only hugged those bunnies I had as a child. That they scratched? That I kissed them on their noses (body fluid transfer....?) I kissed my dog, too, but never on the nose, which brings us back to bunnies!
    I also raised organic veggies and herbs and edible flowers. My garden was my joy, just as having to give it up a few years because of WG was hell on earth. To me, having something alive in my home (plants at this point since I have issues with where pets put their mouths!) is my celebration of life! I have three plants on my computer table. Sometimes, I stop typing and just touch them, enjoy their green solitude.
    Last edited by Doug; 03-19-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beware the Bunnies!!!

It's a real testament to the need for research into the cause(s) of Wegs, when we're left wondering if kissing bunny noses is the culprit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a strange twist of fate, I just discovered this post on one of my favorite blogs by a novelist. If you go to her blog, it's today's entry (March 18, 2009, titled "Test Driving"). Maybe we should warn her?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, don't put her off bunnies - she sounds so excited to be meeting Rabbit.
    As I started pointing the finger at rabbits I feel I must now stick up for them a bit as they are fantastic creatures to welcome into your home.
    Mine lives outside in a hutch but comes indoors regularly and follows me from room to room, jumping up on the couch to sit next to me and sprawling on the floor when she's all tuckered out.
    However she doesn't seem to like grass very much and picks her feet up as if walking on tip toes - I think she resents the ground being dirty as she constantly washes while on the grass in her run.
    So although it is entirely possible that rabbits are secret WG carriers, lets not hold it against them eh?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luce!! Call your doctor right now-- I think you need emergency surgery to reinstall your funny bone.

The Rabbit Hypothesis is just a joke. I guess it could be hard to tell without seeing our faces cracking up laughing. Typing this, I misspelled Rabbit and typed Rabbi. I'm fairly certain they don't cause Wegs either.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast