Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Blood Pressure and Fast Heart Rate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take a pill for blood pressure.

While on pred my blood pressure was in the 130's on occasion. Usually was below 120.

My rhuemy said that the meds help the kidneys. I did not ask him to elaborate. Since I have been off pred my blood pressure is around 108-118. I still take the blood pressure medication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just scanning over this post, at work so I haven't read everyones response so I apologize if I repeat anything already posted.
    My first question is...have you had your heart tested? EKG? John (my husband) was having the same issues. After googling things I assumed it was due to the Prednisone (Which can cause it) as well as the disease itself (Your body has to work extra hard anytime there is an intruder). My husband was recently in the hospital due to other issues related with WG however his pulse rate was HIGH (at one point 168) and his BP was staying in the 175/115 range. They did an EKG which turned up as irregular. They ended up doing a Heart Cath which showed that he had an aneurysm of the main artery and one of his secondary arteries was 80% blocked. Due to not really knowing IF it had to do with the disease, since he had never had heart issues (he is 36) they had to assume it was caused by the WG.
    They say that it is rare that the heart is included with the damage however it does happen (Actually more then people realize). They NEVER thought to test for Johns heart until he was hooked up to the moniters and they say how constant the high numbers were.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: High Blood Pressure and Fast Heart Rate

I met with my cardiologist today. I asked him about the cause of my elevated resting pulse rate. When I was younger and in great shape, my resting pulse rate was generally in the 60s. Now, at age 74, it is consistently in the 90s. I walk 2-3 miles 4-5 days a week, and pre-Covid, I did light resistance training at the gym. My conditioning, while not great, isn’t terrible.

My BP averages 140/80. I’m about 25 pounds heavier than my pre-wegs weight. I’ve been off pred for almost three years. I take meds for hypertension and BPH. I take bactrim 3x weekly. Daily, I take 10 mg loratidiene and 10 mg phenylephrine to keep my sinuses open and dry.

Doc questioned phenylephrine usage, but discounted it as a cause because I’ve been on it for 10 years. The elevated pulse started about 5 years ago. My EKG is unremarkable as was a heart cath a couple years ago. I refuse to take statins. Last lipid panel four years ago was borderline. Haven’t done one since because docs see no point if I refuse statins. No evidence of congestive heart failure.

Doc suggested I try red rice yeast as it is a homeopathic substance chemically similar to a statin.

I feel fine. Just concerned that my motor is racing unnecessarily.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

4. Likes drz, Dirty Don, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also in remission since 2007 and my hearth pulse is about 80 and BP 140/90 all hearth test and pulmonary were ok i have low kidney function

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to double my metropolol to keep my heart rate under 100 after I went on high dosage of pred to treat my GPA flare. I ended up in ER several times with heart rate over 140 until they adjusted my meds.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

7. Likes Alysia, mishb liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12