Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatigue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fatigue

I'm technically in remission at the moment (yay!), but I still get overwhelming tiredness. Does anyone else get this? Do the symptoms of WG ever totally go away?x

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Gwenllian! Happy to hear about your remission!

The doctors said I was in a remission too, but I'm not sure... cos I just swithed to metho and some other antibiotics because of my joints. not sure what defines a remission...?? but, yes, the tiredness is terrible. I sleep 12-14 hours every night (day) and I go through the day without actually doing anything, and still I feel like I've run the marathon or something.
    I hope it will get better as everything stabilizes more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenllian View Post
    I'm technically in remission at the moment (yay!), but I still get overwhelming tiredness. Does anyone else get this? Do the symptoms of WG ever totally go away?x
    That's a common thing unfortunately. Perhaps in time it'll get better. It may also be your body telling you that there's now a 'new normal'. I suffered the same thing for at least 12 months after diagnosis. Eventually though, it came good as I hope that it will with you.

How's your diet? That can have an effect on tiredness as well.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tiredness can sometimes feel overwhelming, and although I'm in a quiet time (and have been for some time) I still get extremely tired and I'm not very good at pacing myself. Anyone heard of Spoon Theory?

(Oh, and the meds have an effect, I'm sure)
    Last edited by Twice; 05-20-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: incomplete post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    The tiredness can sometimes feel overwhelming, and although I'm in a quiet time (and have been for some time) I still get extremely tired and I'm not very good at pacing myself. Anyone heard of Spoon Theory?

(Oh, and the meds have an effect, I'm sure)
    Duh! The meds!!! Why didn't I think of that??!! Good suggestion.

Is this what you mean?
    http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/na...poonTheory.pdf

I had a quick skim of it and looks interesting. Will need to read it later because I have to get to work :-)

Talk soon...
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that Spoon Theory is amazingly accurate!! People who don't have long-term illnesses just don't understand having to say no to doing a meal with someone or having to skip mid-week prayer meeting at church because you'll be too tired to drive home. It's so hard, because when they do see you, you "look" healthy - if you've counted your spoons beforehand - so they tend to forget what you're struggling with every single day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I get caught out even after years and years: I just get too over exuberant when I feel well and - duh! - end up falling flat on my face. Having to apologise to my best friend after helping her prepare food for her party and falling asleep in a corner at 7.30pm or trying to explain that I don't want to go shopping in a particular town (where I'd love to go shopping) because it's built on a hill.

Then again, in the big scheme of things, a little bit of fatigue is a small price to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Then again, in the big scheme of things, a little bit of fatigue is a small price to pay.
    Yeah I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

I too have to keep a lid on what I commit myself to. I tend to take on a whole bunch of stuff and then fall in a heap, which makes me feel worse because I don't live up to what I committed to. One day I guess I'll learn the lesson
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great article and very true. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I 12 years (I am 46 now). That is one thing that I have learned over the years is how to pace myself, as with any illness there is always fatigue and limitations that only you know and other don't understand. This has helped me tremendously when I was diagnosed with WG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that spoon thing was so right on! I'm at the stage where I haven't yet figured out exactly how much to pace myself. More often than not, if I have a few moments of down time, I'm crashed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast