Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Pills?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I think antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers are certainly needed sometimes. Not only does chronic illness take a toll emotionally, but pred causes imbalances in the brain's chemistry that can easily lead to depression, bipolar syndrome or other problems. People who think meds for depression have no place have no understanding of depression.
    I used to be one of those people. While my current usage is not as much for depression, I now appreciate the need. It's one of the silver linings for me, one of those things I have a completely different understanding of now.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to think that, too which is why I said it. LOL

Dale, xanax is highly addictive. One of the most addictive drugs on the market, actually. I'm glad to hear you're careful.

I wanted to clarify something about meds for depression since this thread is called "happy pills." I know you probably didn't mean it this way Jack but antidepressants don't actually make you happy. Many people think that's the case. Antidepressants normalize the brain chemistry, which means returning to a normal state, not an elated one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would make sense that with all that this disease does to us and all the medication that we have to take that it could effect the chemical balances in our brain (serotonin, dopamine, etc). Therapy helps, but often in a lot of cases, we need some form of medication to help balance the neurotransmitters in our brain. There are a ton of different types and they all can have different effects at differing degrees...some do make some people like zombies (they need to get back to their doctors for a change in meds or dose) but their are some mild ones to start with. Lexipro is one that a lot of people seem to like and is not too strong (I work with a lot of adolescents who take that one). I would talk with your doctor about seeing a psychiatrist (they're the best to figure out the prescriptions and doses). And to echo what Drz said, most SNRIs and SSRIs (antidepressants) take a couple of weeks for the therapeutic effects to start - so you have to patient with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the last 6 months my moods have swung from incredibly happy to the lowest of the low. I would walk my dog and just cry - for no reason, i just had to cry. I didn't understand why i was so sad. Its easy to blame it on the Pred but i definately was and i was a monster, i was even starting to feel bi-polar and like i couldnt control my feelings. After a meeting with one of my doctors ended badly i was hysterical and crying so hard i didnt know where it came from and i scared my sister.

Luckily, whatever pred induced imbalance has stabilized itself and i feel like me again but if you feel like you need it Jack go and consult your GP. Many hugs x
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I am now on this Virtual Hospital Ward I think I'll start by discussing it with the Matron when I next see her. I have an appointment during the next week or so - must check when it is.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Since I am now on this Virtual Hospital Ward I think I'll start by discussing it with the Matron when I next see her. I have an appointment during the next week or so - must check when it is.
    Can we send you virtual flowers too to your virtual hospital ward?
    Let us know how she sees you in terms of whether she thinks you might be depressed or likely to benefit from any anti depressant meds.

The mood swings with the treatment from this disease can really be something and a rather foreign experience at times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let us know what the virtual food tastes like!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12