Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Pills?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Happy Pills?

How many on the Forum take pills to ward off depression?

Because things have not been going great for the past few weeks, I find myself under a lot of strain. It's not exactly what I would describe as depression, but I do tend to break down and cry occasionally. It can't be good for my daughter to see this, but its not exactly done by choice!

I have now started wondering if pills would help or would they just introduce another possible problem? I've managed to handle this thing for over 25 years so you would think I would have it pinned down by now. Perhaps I'm just worn out.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a tough one Jack. I have always been against using such meds but then again I have never felt that I needed them. But I know a few other people that swear they need them just to function each day.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom told me that before she was on an antidepressant and something upsetting would happen she would cry and get verry upset. Her doctor got her on an antidepressant and once they got the dossage right she was able to react to events, even upsetting ones in a way she felt was more appropriate. I have had employees in the past who were made in to zombies that just did not deal with anything at all.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am, though it was for anger based issues rather than depression. I'll be honest, I didn't realize I was acting inappropriately as often as I was until I was on the Citralopram. I would never have probably done it as my opinion had always been similar to Phil's, but when it starts affecting loved ones it becomes no longer an option (IMO).
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers are certainly needed sometimes. Not only does chronic illness take a toll emotionally, but pred causes imbalances in the brain's chemistry that can easily lead to depression, bipolar syndrome or other problems. People who think meds for depression have no place have no understanding of depression.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To date I have not needed any mood meds and cannot think that I would ever need them, however if at any time my mood affected loved ones around me I wouldn't think twice about taking them. I can only hope that I would know myself or have someone tell me that I need them. Take them Jack and see how you feel in couple of months.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Jack,

I am the mother of a Weggie, and the occasional surfer here on site, but I can tell you that medication for even moderate depression means the world to me. I have been on something or another for years, and have been through personal trials of no meds to see 'what happens' without. The issue of medication for an antidepressant is not just a WG issue, but one that is of much larger proportions. I know for a fact that I function much better with a little help from big pharma, no matter my current circumstance.

To reep benefit is not to give in or cave...it is to find mercy and some bliss from a fetal position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same as Bob..... citalopram, aka celexa. It takes a few weeks to start working (several weeks) but you do feel better. I have been on 20mg per day for about 3 years. They put me on it right after all this stuff started. I have been thinking about asking for a raise, but I know that too much sometimes leads to setatonin syndrome witch can lead to a night in the psych ward.

Another drug that acts a lot faster than citalopram is lorazepam. Lorazepam works quickly and can be taken on bad days. I have a bottle of lorazepam, but have never taken one. Ask your doctor about both. I think things would be very difficult for me without the celexa.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I think antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers are certainly needed sometimes. Not only does chronic illness take a toll emotionally, but pred causes imbalances in the brain's chemistry that can easily lead to depression, bipolar syndrome or other problems. People who think meds for depression have no place have no understanding of depression.
    So very true.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take my happy pill every morning. Alprazolam, (Xanex) has been good for me. They said I could take three a day but when I found out it could be addictive, I only took one. If I get out of my "comfort zone" I will take another but not so often.
    Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast