User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quite well now - why did I get it in the first place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quite well now - why did I get it in the first place?

I hardly ever go on this site now because I am so well after being diagnosed 4 years ago, or was it 5????
    I'm still on 3 Imuran a day and Bactim 3 times a week. It seems to work very well. A big thanks to Andrew for hosting this site, it was so important to me when I first got sick. I was discussing the causes with a fellow Weg who lives close by and we both had BIG emotional issues going on at the time - both of us felt trapped and powerless. So I believe there is quite a big emotional element in getting this condition. There's a book I have had on my shelf for years - had never read it - and it says that you choose the disease you get. It's mind blowing really. But I do believe for me it had a big emotional component. What are other opinions???????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had NO emotional components and did not choose wegners. I would have chosen something much more common so when I had to tell people theyd look at me with a "oh, yes, my sister has that"instead of the usual "wtf?". I did not choose wegners.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with you Leigh, I certainly didn't choose the lot that he has given me.

My Aunty, very religious, feels that he chooses who he wishes to have what illness/condition. She feels that he only gives to those that are strong enough
    in mind and body to handle it.

I'm not quite sure I believe that either, but I am certain that I didn't choose it .......didn't even know it existed.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I contracted Wegener's I was having one of the best times of my life. Everything was going really well for me and I had a great job that I loved. I certainly did not choose to become sick.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are several things about this sort of thinking that don't make sense to me. First, why would someone choose to have any illness? All people naturally seek to be happy. That is easily proven by contemplating all types of behaviors. Second, it implies that someone who would choose to be sick is somehow defective compared to those who "choose" to be healthy. That seems uncompassionate towards oneself and others-- very easy to judge those who are sick or who don't get better with treatment. Third, it doesn't account for children or animals who are sick. Surely they haven't been sitting around wondering which disease to choose! A not-yet-5 yr old girl I know just died last week. She was born with a hideous disease and more complications than I have ever seen in a human being. Her suffering was extreme and non-stop. Her life was a living hell. I don't believe she chose that.

Buddhists do believe in emotional states and habits affecting health, but it is very different from choosing an illness. You can PM me if you want to discuss that, since I don't want to enter into a discussion about religion in the group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe I choose the illness, or was affected by my emotions per se. I will say I was under a lot of stress when I finally went from weird symptoms to full-on flare.

I will say there are probably some things where we make ourselves ill, but largely much of it is caused by environment or predisposition. I guess it depends on if you consider stress to be emotive or environmental how it falls in the mix.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with everyone, illness is something I definitely didn't choose for myself. In fact, at the time I got sick, I was doing everything in my power to be healthy. It was a very happy and exciting time in my life, I was just married and we were trying to start a family...a serious illness was the furthest thing from my mind.
    A co-worker of mine had told me about this "theory" that she had seen/read called the secret? It is some sort of trendy thing, she gave it to me to watch, and I think I sold it at a garage sale for 25 cents. Anyways, the "theory" is that you can make anything happen just by thinking it...basically willing it to happen. She was telling me about a story she read about this woman who wanted a house more than anything, and she wished for it every day, and one day she got a house! I'm sure they neglected to mention in this story that the woman saved every red cent she made and worked towards buying this house, the story just said she wished for it...and anyone could do the same. This "secret" also says that the same goes for bad things. If you spend all your time thinking about all the bad things that can happen, then they will eventually happen to you. Like I said, I don't know the whole story, I didn't watch the video, but it seems to be the same sort of thinking in this book you mentioned.

I guess I went off on a bit of a tangent
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to guess that maybe the book is implying that choices we make become us chosing a disease but even that is just not accurate. My aunt was a vegatarian who ate tones of nuts, seeds, beans and veggies, NEVER drinks, does tai chi, yoga and goes to the gym and has always been this way and she got breast cancer. my other aunt is an unhealthy smoking alcoholic and has no illnesses at all. she just looks 25 years older and smells.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Leigh, I love your way with words
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you but I must confess that that last sentence is true...unfortunately.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast