Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance for us?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Thanks Al, that's interesting to know about the payment side of things.
    I do have a very good credit card that hasn't been used for years and it does offer free travel insurance but nothing for pre-existing conditions.
    I hope I never have to use it ever ever ever.

I could only foresee possible plane troubles but nothing whilst on the ground. Although, I could fall out of the teacups at Disneyland.
    Who knows, I may not get any troubles what so ever and then get hit by a bus on the way home. (I always use a bus as an example because that's the type of insurance I underwrite)
    Not sure how it works in your land, Michelle. In the UK, the government owns all the facilities, and the doctors are government employees, so there they typically wouldn't reimburse anyone for something that happened outside GB. I think this is why the insurance there is so high. It is quite different in Canada, which pays doctors for services, so they have a bureaucracy that is used to reimbursements. If we in the US go to Mexico on vacation (not a planned medical holiday), we would be expected to buy Mexican insurance unless the the credit card company has that as a benefit. (Most, these days, offer at least a medical evacuation benefit, though this wouldn't help for emergencies.) It is possible, though I have no knowledge if this is so, that there are American insurers offering plans for non-American visitors--at outrageous rates, of course.

By the way, if I had inner ear anomalies, I would be careful of the Disneyland rides....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michelle, I posted earlier in the thread about this company I insured with going UK to US: Cheap Travel Insurance Australia ? Annual Travel Insurance This is there Aus website. They insured me no problem and it wasn't ridiculously expensive. I THINK 50 pounds for 6 days. Of course depends how sick you are though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Michelle, I posted earlier in the thread about this company I insured with going UK to US: Cheap Travel Insurance Australia ? Annual Travel Insurance This is there Aus website. They insured me no problem and it wasn't ridiculously expensive. I THINK 50 pounds for 6 days. Of course depends how sick you are though...
    I'm not sick ......... I don't look sick ......do I.
    Thankyou I will have a look at this Insurance. The travel agency does have travel insurance that I can get (with an extra cost) so that is not the problem, it's just trying to assertain what issues may occur but since I don't and none of you (I don't think) have fortune telling skills, then it is hard to gauge.

I guess I can prevent the dvt by wearing support stockings and making sure I move around enough. I can take some sudafed to stop the ears and wear a mask to avoid those horrible bugs. Apart from that, I probably could make two choices......1. not go at all or 2. bubble wrap myself so nothing happens. (and these two things are not going to happen)

I go back to see my Rheumy at the beginning of March, so I will ask her what she has seen and heard from other patients and what she thinks.
    And I will give my National Manager friend an answer to his question when I see him on Saturday, and then he can tell me what he thinks, as well.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Al, that's interesting to know about the payment side of things.
    I do have a very good credit card that hasn't been used for years and it does offer free travel insurance but nothing for pre-existing conditions.
    I hope I never have to use it ever ever ever.

I could only foresee possible plane troubles but nothing whilst on the ground. Although, I could fall out of the teacups at Disneyland.
    Who knows, I may not get any troubles what so ever and then get hit by a bus on the way home. (I always use a bus as an example because that's the type of insurance I underwrite)
    Car accidents, falls, illness other than Wegs (eg food-poisoning) are all things that could bankrupt you here in the USA, much less any of the complications from Wegs. It really upsets me to think that visitors to the US take serious financial risks just to come here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sick ......... I don't look sick ......do I.
    You look a little green around the gills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    You look a little green around the gills.
    But my eyes are clear and I'm still smiling, so all is good in the world

Thankyou for your other reply. Food poisoning would never have entered my mind - I only really associated that with 3rd world countries, and my trip to Fiji could have been a doosy where food and sanitation hygiene is concerned.

Yes, falling out of the teacups did occur to me but I guess falling from a bumper car or even falling overboard off the paddlesteamer............... I do jest, thankyou for your advice.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, food poisoning is a given in a trip to a 3rd World country (been there, barfed and pooped that). But it's still prevalent everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biggest risks to me would be injury from accident, broken bones etc that require ER care, infection or illness requiring in patient care, and worry about having a flare but this might be handled best by getting a medical evacuation policy that would get you back home for treatment. I had a policy through a large organization that I belong to that offered this for around $10 a month. I bought this when i thought about going back to South Africa for another visit after I heard about a case where it required an air ambulance to haul some one back to USA and it cost several hundred thousand dollars which the insurance covered. This plan also covered any emergency trips in USA like getting seriously burned and needing emergency trransfer to a hospital that specialized in treating burn victims so might be good to have. I dropped it after I figured I was not in good enough health to travel very far from home anyway.

You should also have a policy that would cover ER and short term care since a short stay in a hospital can easily cost 50-100 thousand US $ and many require cash unless you have a known insurance plan they will accept.
    Last edited by drz; 01-28-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

Well I still haven't got my travel insurance thing sorted yet and I still haven't spoken to my Rheumy about going (see her on the 5th March) but that hasn't stopped us still looking around and thinking of places to go.

We are thinking now of going to Disneyworld in Florida, plus the surrounding other attractions, since we have already been to Disneyland in Anaheim, and I'm really after peoples thoughts on which is the best place.
    We could have an Australia to Hawaii to Los Angeles or we could do Australia to Dallas to Orlando trip.
    There will be 6 adults and 4 kids but the kids are 23, 19, 18 & a 12 year old.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disney in Florida is definitely better. With kids that age they'll probably like the Hollywood studio park the best. Though as an old kid I still like them all for different things
    ~ Bob

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast