Thread: lithotripsy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default lithotripsy

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here with kidney damage or without has had a lithotripsy done to blast a kidney stone. My mom has severe kidney involvement but also a massive kidney stone that the doctors think may be helping her creatinine stay elevated. She has been doing well with her treatment but I think the thought of having a surgery is getting the best of her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know nothing about kidney stones and have never heard of lithotripsy.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for your reply. we don't really know to much either other than they use some type of waves to shoot the stone and break it up into smaller pieces so it will pass. when she was admitted in the hospital 2 months ago they were blaming this for her rise in her creatinine, 1 week later we got the wegeners diagnosis. it's supposed to be a pretty safe procedure from what we have heard, but we're just nervous because she has had a good amount of damage to her kidneys already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have anything to add about lithotripsy other than your mom's doctors should be very clear about the odds of it working, the risks, and the odds of her needing surgery to remove the stone if the lithotripsy doesn't work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I don't have anything to add about lithotripsy other than your mom's doctors should be very clear about the odds of it working, the risks, and the odds of her needing surgery to remove the stone if the lithotripsy doesn't work.
    I might want more than one doctors opinion on these issues too since losing your kidneys can be a life changer or major event anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I have a history of kidney stones. As a matter of fact I was admitted to the hospital last night and will have surgery tomorrow for stent placement and to lithrotripsy a 8mm stone and a 10mm stone that are occlusive. There really isn't a lot of choices, passing them is pretty much impossible at that size and letting them occlude will damage kidney. Stent and lithrotrispy are preferable to having them go in through back to surgically remove stones. It is an out patient surgery if you are not already admitted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for your advice. Her doctors said that it needs to come out that "its not a stone its a boulder" =] and its only going to cause more damage if its in there. She already has a stent in from when she was diagnosed 2 months ago so they want to get the stone out before they have to remove the stent. Lightwarrior best of luck to you tomorrow!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry you have to go through that, LW. I hope everything goes well and you get relief!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightwarrior and Beth's Mum,

Hope all goes well for you both !

Fran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it painful or just noisy like the old type MRI?

Best wishes for successful surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    I have a history of kidney stones. As a matter of fact I was admitted to the hospital last night and will have surgery tomorrow for stent placement and to lithrotripsy a 8mm stone and a 10mm stone that are occlusive. There really isn't a lot of choices, passing them is pretty much impossible at that size and letting them occlude will damage kidney. Stent and lithrotrispy are preferable to having them go in through back to surgically remove stones. It is an out patient surgery if you are not already admitted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast