Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Books for Weggies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Books for Weggies

Hey everyone, just curious what books you may have read or are in the process of reading that have to do with Wegs, or coping with illness/ medications, or anything along these lines.
    It was brought up a couple weeks ago when we were talking about famous Weggies and someone mentioned Wendy Shanker...just ordered her book today, very excited!

I just finished "The Anti-Inflammation Diet & Recipe Book" by Jessica Black. It was pretty interesting. Some things were a little extreme and I don't think I would follow it to a tee, but for the most part I plan to adopt the healthy habits she recommends.
    I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

I just started "Vasculitis, Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired" by Sheri Schwar. Sheri has TA, another form of Vasculitis, but so far I like her writing style.

Just ordered:
    "Coping with Prednisone" by Eugenia Zuckerman
    "Are you my Guru" by Wendy Shanker
    "The Art of Getting Well, Maximizing Health when you have Chronic Illness" by David Spero

Love to hear if anyone has read these and their thoughts.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Nicole. I will have to check out some of these books.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you've recommended the anti inflammatory book, i've been looking at that for a while.

I have 2 wegs related books but to my shame i havent picked them up yet - There must be a reason and Eye on the prize. Well i did start off with There Must Be A Reason but i didnt get on well with it.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read Are you my guru. I did like it. She is the same age as me and was diagnosed the same year as I was. The book is filled with alot of random thoughts-yes including what Madonna was doing etc-so I was able to relate to that stuff. There is a part in the book where she sends away to the kansas city support group and she receives a packet from them. In the packet they mention that the lady who started it had passed away from a non wegners related cancer. I was part of a mailing group for wg at the time and I remembered getting that exact email.

I have to admit I really only see myself reading this wegners book as it was funny and I dont want to do sad.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    I'm glad you've recommended the anti inflammatory book, i've been looking at that for a while.

I have 2 wegs related books but to my shame i havent picked them up yet - There must be a reason and Eye on the prize. Well i did start off with There Must Be A Reason but i didnt get on well with it.
    Amazon.com has the best deals on the two books you mentioned, and they have a couple different anti-inflammitory diet books.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have to put my two cents into this thread because as many of you know we've started our own book project. The idea is that because this disease hits all of us in such unique ways and also that our bodies react to the meds in such unique ways it is much better to have a book with a whole bunch of WG experiences than just one. I did get the pred book and it helped me a lot, I also considered getting the two books that Sam mentioned but they seemed a little depressing and also just one person's story, so I decided against it, and came up with the idea to pool all of our stories together. So far I have eight submissions (all men) and the momentum seems to have fizzled out a bit. I still believe with all my heart that if/when we put this book together we will have something that we'll be proud of that can help the newly diagnosed in so many ways. I spoke with the Vice President of the Canadian Vasculitis Association (all doctors) and he thinks this is a brilliant initiative and the doctors would love to see something like this. I think once it's done we can even pitch it to be manditory reading in med school. We, together, here, can make a positive difference for the future. The same way this forum has helped us all, a book can help many people in the future.

So if any of you are interested in submitting your story to the book, please send me a personal message with your email address and I'll fire off the outline. The outline is intended to get us all to tell our stories in a similar flow of events, so that when someone is reading it, they have a better basis for comparisson. I have someone who is interested in publishing the book and failing that I'll pay for self publication with the money I've made from the sale of the Weggie products (and I'll top up whatever needs to be topped up.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Marta. I think I am going to start on my story.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicShaf View Post
    Amazon.com has the best deals on the two books you mentioned, and they have a couple different anti-inflammitory diet books.
    If you are not fussed about the books being new, then , at least in the Uk, try this link.

Waterstone's Marketplace: New and Used Books (Used, and Out-of-Print Books)

Just enter the book name or author into the search box.
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marta,
    I sent my submission to the Weggie Book Project a while back, I hope you recieved it. I can resend it if need be.
    I can't wait to see the finished product, it will be neat to read a bunch of different Weggie Stories.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG Nicole,

My apologies!!! I did get your submission, and you are the only other female (other than me ) who submitted - Bring it on ladies (and gentlemen)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast