Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humour

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Humour

Before I start.... Holly has always been a jokester and loves to make people laugh! She has always loved performing arts.

We just got back from a camping trip on the weekend where I discovered a few things about Holly that I didn't realize. While sitting around the campfire she started messing around with her younger sister (Shelby) and entertaining with what they called Improv. Holly was creating a bunch of characters using various facial expressions and different voices/accents. I found myself very uncomfortable at first due to having watched what the pred has done to her but I have to admit she had me LMAO after a short while. Pretty much a female version of Jim Carrey.

I discussed it with her afterwards and how I felt awkward at first about laughing. Her reply..... Dad, if I can get a laugh I'll do it and if I ever have to go on this pred again I need something to look forward to.

I know humour is a wonderful thing but I'm not sure in this case?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a way of coping really I think. I think Lincoln said it best maybe:

"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."

I've always loved that quote
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her reply sounds very level headed and mature! If joking has always been her m.o., and she's able to make light of her situation, then more power to her!

Besides, I know you'll be right there to the kick the butt of anyone who might attempt to laugh at her, rather than with her
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your daughter sounds amazing and I think you are lucky to have someone from whom you can learn so much about life and living.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she's doing very well.

Sarcasm is my thing, but Holly's humour is a great way of coping with what she's going through.

And to be honest kids can be rather cruel about things like this, better she laugh at herself than let the other kids take that away from her.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    ........ Besides, I know you'll be right there to the kick the butt of anyone who might attempt to laugh at her, rather than with her

Chris -- you've hit the nail on the head - that uncomfortable feeling really is the fear of someone "laughing at her" .... rather than with her.

I always thought I'd be there to "kick some butt" for other reasons having teenage girls but either way I've kept my "butt-kickers" all shined up and ready to go!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's wonderful that Holly has found a positive way to cope with Preds...laughter is always the best medicine
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holly is an inspiration. I can't wait to see you and meet her in person. When are you driving up the Icefields Parkway for a visit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you are going to get many negative comments from the Forum over the subject of laughter. It is something we could all do with more of!

It has been quite a while since I did this -
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daggar, I think it's great. Having a good sense of humor--especially being able to laugh at myself-- has been key for me staying sane. I've had 2 therapists who both made a big point out of it, until I began to see what they meant. My lama has pointed it out to me on a number of occasions, so that tells me it's REALLY a good thing. I wrote a blog post about it awhile back.

So I vote along with everyone else-- let Holly express herself through laughter as much as she wants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast