Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Need some recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never heard of it before, vdub. But I'm still not gonna marry you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darn it.... I thought I had a winner there.... Oh well.... Next time.... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always cook extra so it will do for two meals. I like this website: Fatfree Vegan Recipes

Stews...bolognese...chilli...curry all freeze well.

Particular ones I like from that site are 'gold rush chili' and the lasagne. She has some good soups too, like this one(ALOT of garlic though!!) http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/04...rlic-stew.html
    Last edited by MCC; 06-09-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about pastas Sangye? Can you eat the multigrain pastas? We make up a large batch of sauce and then freeze in meal servings. Just cook up a pot of noodles thaw the sauce and you have a nice penne, spaghetti or the veggie bows with sauce.

Crock pots work great as Brooke said but you may be limited without the meat. Holly's a vegetarian and we've been trying to perfect a vegetarian chili using the crock pot -- we're getting very close! Good option for lots of protein. There are many brands of low sodium beans (navy, soy, pinto, kidney,etc) so you can add whichever ones you want. Makes a large batch so you can freeze as individual meals.

She also has an individual blender for making her health shakes in the morning before school -- quick way to get nutrients without too much fuss. Banana, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, tablespoon of flax, 1/4 cup of oat bran, strawberry yogurt and the So Good Stawberry Soy Drink to keep it drinkable.... add or delete ingredients as you wish. I'll eat a 1/2 cup of almonds (not chocolate) or walnuts with the shake -- just seems to go together.

I'll gross Holly out by doing the same thing with veggies..... add low sodium V8 to keep it from being too chunky!! Not the nicest thing to drink but keeps my veggie intake up.

From reading your posts it sounds like you need to make hay while the sun is shining and make large batches when you're feeling okay then freeze as meal size for the days you're struggling.

Marta - cabbage rolls.... what other dishes are Bulgarian?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Daggar.

I rarely eat pasta. Even the multigrain ones are not real food--highly processed. I try to limit processed food--not always easy but it makes a big difference in the short and long term. I do eat meat. I was a vegetarian for many years and wouldn't do it again.

Not sure Holly's "health shake" is very healthy-- soy drinks are highly processed, inhibit digestive enzymes and push the progesterone-estrogen balance in an unfavorable direction. That particular soy drink has corn syrup and fructose in addition to cane sugar. Add all those high-glycemic fruits and it's a very high sugar breakfast. Plain yogurt is a better choice than the soy drink-- lots of calcium, good bacteria and more protein to help balance the blood sugar.

I got through the infusions by cooking a dish the day before each infusion and eating it for several days. Pot roast worked really well. Stuffed bell peppers also worked well since I like them hot or cold. I made a note to do this during the next round of rtx. It was rough but I pulled it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To each his own... i guess whatever works.

Holly's lab results have the dietician and doctors amazed that she is scoring high in all areas of nutrition -- as a vegetarian with low kidney function that is extremely difficult so we'll stick to it for now.

I'd never be able to become a vegetarian but I respect her choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, if she wants to be a vegetarian that's her decision. My comments were aimed at keeping her healthy while she does it. High dose pred predisposes us to developing blood sugar problems while on pred or even after pred is stopped. Stable blood sugars now are not necessarily an indication that all is well because dysinsulinism typically develops slowly--precipitated by chronic intake of high sugar--and later progresses into hypoglycemia and then diabetes. That can be avoided but sugar intake from all sources has to be addressed.

Anyway, take it or leave it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Yeah, if she wants to be a vegetarian that's her decision. My comments were aimed at keeping her healthy while she does it. High dose pred predisposes us to developing blood sugar problems while on pred or even after pred is stopped. Stable blood sugars now are not necessarily an indication that all is well because dysinsulinism typically develops slowly--precipitated by chronic intake of high sugar--and later progresses into hypoglycemia and then diabetes. That can be avoided but sugar intake from all sources has to be addressed.

Anyway, take it or leave it.
    I'll take it.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL-- Phil, you crack me up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High intake of sugar? We're talking a single serving of shake before she does her exercise in the a.m. Her blood sugar is normal..... before and after (tested). There is maybe a 1/4-1/2 cup of soy beverage to keep it liquified.

I get your point about the "predisposed from pred" but I'm old school when it comes to doing exercise without food energy to burn. Keeping your blood sugar levels within normal ranges during exercise is a challenge for anyone but this seems to work for her. No spike afterwards.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast