Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Diagnosed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drive, have had my licence since I was 16 in 1992. I have not worked in over a year but my last job was part time as a security guard at night at a local hotel. I had to quit that because of a bad lung infection that I still have and had a flare of Wegs the last few months as well.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I drive, have had my licence since I was 16 in 1992. I have not worked in over a year but my last job was part time as a security guard at night at a local hotel. I had to quit that because of a bad lung infection that I still have and had a flare of Wegs the last few months as well.
    hum this can be a tricky thing to have and work with, what kind of jobs do you other guys on the weggies page do? (when not MIA)
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Santo, Texas (60 miles west of Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the Cleveland Clinic IS quite large. I think the name is misleading. I pictured some brick-covered little place built in the 1800's with little old men sporting long white beards bent over their beakers and Bunsen burners doing research on obscure diseases. Perhaps this is due to the alliteration of the double "c" cononsants and the use of the "clinic" which imparts a much smaller mental image. A more accurate moniker might be The Cleveland Complex. There are about 2000 doctors and 40,000 employees working at the Double C "Ranch" to put it in Texas terms. The campus is extensive, and there are 84 operating rooms where they do over 60 heart surgeries daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    the pics make it look very inviting and big
    J. Mike Milliorn, Santo Texas
    Diagnosed Jan. 2011
    at the Cleveland Clinic

Santo, Texas (60 miles west of Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PB,
    You are about the same age as my daughter, Megan, who was born in 1975. She has been diagnosed with MS in the last couple years. She was having X-rays to determine why she has so many headaches and they discovered lesions in her spinal column. She takes regular infusions and so far has not had typical MS symptoms. She has, however, continued to experience the headaches, sinus problems and the benign thyroid tumor that my Dad and I both experienced. Hope she doesn't get WG as well. My Dad didn't. He died of a heart attack at 70. My heart is quite healthy, thankfully. Dad didn't benefit from statin drugs I guess.

When you get back into remission, what type of work would you like to do ideally? Sounds like you have an interest in automobiles. Perhaps something related to the auto industry? I'd volunteer to caretaker that stable of fine cars you described recently. It must be difficult for them to keep them all properly tuned and running, government inspected, clean and organized, with insurance, proper tires and tire pressure, etc. Sounds like a good job for an old retired guy like me. I don't want to be a Walmart greeter.

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    J. Mike Milliorn, Santo Texas
    Diagnosed Jan. 2011
    at the Cleveland Clinic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmmilliorn View Post
    PB,
    You are about the same age as my daughter, Megan, who was born in 1975. She has been diagnosed with MS in the last couple years. She was having X-rays to determine why she has so many headaches and they discovered lesions in her spinal column. She takes regular infusions and so far has not had typical MS symptoms. She has, however, continued to experience the headaches, sinus problems and the benign thyroid tumor that my Dad and I both experienced. Hope she doesn't get WG as well. My Dad didn't. He died of a heart attack at 70. My heart is quite healthy, thankfully. Dad didn't benefit from statin drugs I guess.

When you get back into remission, what type of work would you like to do ideally? Sounds like you have an interest in automobiles. Perhaps something related to the auto industry? I'd volunteer to caretaker that stable of fine cars you described recently. It must be difficult for them to keep them all properly tuned and running, government inspected, clean and organized, with insurance, proper tires and tire pressure, etc. Sounds like a good job for an old retired guy like me. I don't want to be a Walmart greeter.
    like kato in the green hornet? what a fun idea. If u get to pic a job make it something fun that can be not depressing everyday.
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to be a Walmart greeter.
    I am quite content being retired and really feel bad for all of you who have wegs in the prime of your life.... That's just a darned poor twist of fate. I was lucky to already be retired (I punched out of the workforce when I was 55 in 2006) when I was dx'ed in 2010. I had plenty to do, was living life the way I wanted, and was pretty happy with things, but for the last year, learning about and managing this stupid disease has been a full-time job in and of itself. I can not imagine doing it with a young family.

To be perfectly honest, I find the disease quite fascinating and interesting to study. I can see where a doctor can make a career out of just this one disease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When people ask me what do you do referring to occupation, I tell them I am a Health Care Consumer which seems accurate given the time and effort I put into keeping appointments, getting meds, taking them correctly, managing my diabetes, doing routine lab work etc. I agree managing ones health seems to be nearly a full time job now and can't imagine trying to work besides. I admire those of you who can and imagine it must really be a struggle at times for many of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL "Health Care Consumer" Priceless! And very accurate! It takes all my time, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Health Care Consumer
    That is quite good! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    hum this can be a tricky thing to have and work with, what kind of jobs do you other guys on the weggies page do? (when not MIA)
    I am a critical care RN, I am currently the Clinical Nurse Expert for ICU in our hospital, I also teach Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) online. Rini, what is your passion?? choose a career that you love, then look for something within that career that will allow you to be safe, good health care benefits and the ability to slow down when you need to.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast