Thread: A Weighty Issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down A Weighty Issue

Well today i saw my Chest Consultant.

He told me i CAN lose weight whilst still on Prednisolone(5mg) and that cutting out breakfast and carbs was his way of going about it.
    Even though i've not lost any weight i havent put any significant on.

He gave me a 20 min lecture even though i agreed, yeah i could do with losing weight, but that i had only put on 5lbs since 6 months ago, thats pretty good! He disagreed and said that joining a weight loss programme by weight watchers or similar would help. I told him i was doing Zumba but had to give it up as when i dropped the pred i had no energy for it, he said i should carry on as being fit has its benefits.

He kept saying over and over again that i had his sympathies. I really cannot get across the relentlessness of his lecture. It got so bad i said enough is enough, everytime i see him he bangs on about my weight and that he had said my lung function was good and hadn't changed in 6 months was very encouraging. So i jumped in and said so why are you banging on about my weight, if my lungs are fine it has nothing to do with my weight, he said it did and then i got up and walked out. I've never walked out of a doctors appointment before, but i'm fed up of them always blaming things on my weight. I havent stopped crying since i walked out or since i got home.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Sam, that is AWFUL. Shame on him for treating you so disrespectfully. I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself and for leaving. You deserve to be treated with compassion, kindness and respect.

He is also completely wrong about breakfast and carbs. What a foolish way to lose weight. Doesn't he know there are vital nutrients in carbs? Maybe he flunked biochemistry. And telling you to continue with an exercise program that is clearly too much for you....Grrrr. This man has no sense.

Let yourself have a good cry and then make a new plan based on your own goals and desires. Hugs to you, my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Sam, I am so sorry you had to go through this with your doc. This is obviously not a good Pulmy. Like Sangye said he must have flunked biochemistry. Even I know one should not skip breakfast and carbs. You will find the right exercise program on your own time when you are ready and fit. It takes time so don't put too much pressure on yourself.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is horrible, I'm sorry your doc was so rude. I think only putting on 5 lbs in 6 months while on Preds is pretty impressive...maybe your doc should go on Preds for 6 months and see how he does. We all understand, i'm sorry to hear that your doctor doesn't have enough compassion to listen to you.
    Glad to hear your lungs are doing good. I hope your week starts getting better.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 5 pounds in 6 months?!? Amazing! Consider yourself my hero!! And excuse my french, but screw him. Good for you for standing up for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a jerk! I gained 80 lbs with my last pregnancy and was unable to lose the last 40 lbs or so. I tried several diets after no luck with simple calorie/fat counting and exercise. Weight Watchers did best for me and I lost all the pregnancy weight and got down to my high school weight and maintained it until recently (the pred). You've obviously got to be responsible for yourself and budget your eating for the day. It's like having a wad of cash in your pocket. You can either spend all your money on breakfast, or you can spend just a little all day and save the rest for a nicer dinner. There's a ton of things that you can eat that are very low value, even zero value. Their system helps you look at things and really decide if it's worth eating it. The big one for me was hot dogs. I LOVE hot dogs, nasty greasy messy hot dogs slathered in chili and cheese. So I could eat one like that, and pretty much nothing other than plain veggies all day. Or, I could eat 2 fat free hot dogs (which taste fine) on slices of whole wheat bread which used up less 1/6 of my daily budget. It's kind of an "eat this, not that" way of looking at it, where many other diets are "no no no". Weight Watchers is "yes yes yes... but are you SURE you really want to?". And it's not just for weight loss, it's a maintenance lifestyle.

And I also think 5 lbs is fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have gained 36 pounds and am finally holding on 10 mg of pred till I go back to Mayo and because of fatigue and trach stenosis areobic exercise is not an option at this time...i use all my energy to go to work and cook dinner....so plump and sassy is where i will sit for now....my bronchs are inflammed so that also contributes to my shortness of air.....and we all must face it...we all come in different sizes and bone structure ...so love yourself and that doctor can go jump in a freezing lake
    Want to see a miracle? Plant a word of love heartdeep in a person's life. Nuture it with a smile and a prayer and watch what happens...Never underestimate the power of the seed!

My mojo for today.....gonna be johnny apple seed and just keep planting
    Lisa Marie
    The happiness of people is not necessarily to have the best of everything...but make the most of what you have!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww thank you guys so much, felt like i just had a massive hug and a few giggles. I've been down all day and very angry. And i knew you guys would agree with me this guy had no idea what he was talking about.

My sister said i was hostile but i said its only cos i knew he was talking rubbish and i'd heard enough doctors tell me to lose weight both before and after diagnosis. I have NEVER had any health related issues because of my weight. And yes i know it doesnt help but its not affecting me right this second. Concentrating on being well first. And getting off the cursed pred.

Thank you all so much for your messages, you've no idea how much they've lifted my mood. Love to ya all
    Last edited by freakyschizogirl; 05-04-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we love you too
    Want to see a miracle? Plant a word of love heartdeep in a person's life. Nuture it with a smile and a prayer and watch what happens...Never underestimate the power of the seed!

My mojo for today.....gonna be johnny apple seed and just keep planting
    Lisa Marie
    The happiness of people is not necessarily to have the best of everything...but make the most of what you have!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your plan to get well and get off pred as your first priorities makes good sense.

No one can say how much pred interferes with your ability to lose weight. Everyone's metabolism and reaction to pred is so different. I'm at a mere 2.5mg and can't lose a pound, even after months of severe daily diarrhea. Literally as soon as I eat, it all comes out (sorry for the graphic, ahem). I should be thin as a rail with all this. Not only am I not losing weight, but I still have somewhat of a moon face and the fat above my collarbones. So this little dose of pred is acting like a much higher dose. Go figure.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast