Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
I'm totally with you there. I'm so afraid that someone will think I'm being a hypochondriac that I tend to downplay my symptoms. I think that honestly, in my case, it's because my parents are both nurses and I grew up hearing the horror stories about people going on at length about issues that they didn't really have. So I conditioned myself eventually to tend to ignore things, that and I have a relatively high level of pain tolerance. That said my parents are the first to tell me I should be telling the doctor all my symptoms, so it's really my own psychosis on that part
I think this, and a little bit of proffit mindedness, are responsible for the numerous signs popping up at doctor's offices around the city (haven't seen any in our little town - yet) that irritate me to no end... "one symptom per doctor visit". Can you imagine where we would all be if we told our doctors one symptom at a time and got treated for such? Six feet under is the appropriate response. It's something that totally freaks me out, enrages me and makes me feel like many doctors have either forgotten why they became doctors in the first place or became doctors for the wrong reason. I know that there are hypochondriacs out there, but shouldn't the system work in the favour of those who need the help instead of punishing them for the shortcomings of others.

There, I ranted. Thanks for indulging me.

Psyborg, I feel the same. I feel I often downplay what I'm feeling, not sure what my reason for doing this is - wanna be a supermom, don't want to be perceived as a whimp, not sure if what I'm feeling is normal and I'm over-reacting in my new hyper-self-aware state.... I honestly don't know. One thing though, I am way better at speaking up for myself and figuring out how to get heard when I'm at the doctor's office. Not quite where I want to be, but being a Weggie, I'm sure I'll get the necessary practice to assert myself more and more.

Geoff - take care of youself friend. Hopefully pred alone will stop things from progressing further, and you'll feel better in no time. Big hugs from across the ocean.