Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rituxan in my future!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rituxan in my future!

I talked to my doc a couple of hours ago, and I'll be making the leap to Rituxan! I've been on mtx for 5.5 months, 20mg pred, and we recently added Imuran, because we can't get the pred below 20mg without the wheels falling off! The Imuran was giving me horrible stomach upset.....crazy gassiness (NOT ATTRACTIVE!!)

I'm excited, and little nervous. I guess mostly I'm worried about side effects, but I haven't really heard of many from this group (aside from Sangye......and it sounds like hers is a very unusual case).

Aside from infusion reaction, and the possibility of infections, and do I have anything else to worry about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is good new Chris. Do you have private insurance that will cover it?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    I talked to my doc a couple of hours ago, and I'll be making the leap to Rituxan! I've been on mtx for 5.5 months, 20mg pred, and we recently added Imuran, because we can't get the pred below 20mg without the wheels falling off! The Imuran was giving me horrible stomach upset.....crazy gassiness (NOT ATTRACTIVE!!)

I'm excited, and little nervous. I guess mostly I'm worried about side effects, but I haven't really heard of many from this group (aside from Sangye......and it sounds like hers is a very unusual case).

Aside from infusion reaction, and the possibility of infections, and do I have anything else to worry about?
    Most people do fine with RTX IVs. Any serious problem generally shows quickly and they monitor you very closely the first time for any unusual reaction so risks are minimal. The results are generally more variable from super fantastic and why didn't we do this sooner to when will the RTX ever kick in so I feel better. Lets hope you are in the first group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ChrisG, glad to hear you're gonna try rtx. The main short-term concerns are what you said-- infusion reactions and infection. I don't know the statistics on how many people have temporary, debilitating side effects like me, but I do think it's very low. In this group I think there has only been one or two other members with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just had my 2nd on Wednesday, and other than being pretty tired that day and feeling puffy (solumedrol, I'm sure) I haven't had any other reactions. Hope it goes as well for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    That is good new Chris. Do you have private insurance that will cover it?
    Yes, I do have insurance. I still feel a bit of concern about getting approval. Worse - I have a 20% co-pay which may put us in the poor house. I'm not sure where I stand on the annual out-of-pocket maximum, but I know it hasn't been satisfied yet this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful news! I'm still waiting to hear what my insurance company's response is. Hope that getting FDA approval on the same day my rheumy put in the request will have some positive results.

Do you know when your first infusion will be yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ChrisG, do you know if you'll be doing 2 infusions or 4? I hope you don't have to pay 20% of the costs. That's a lot of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I have been reading posts since being diagnosed in December of 2009 but have never replied but I would just like to say that I was just approved by my insurance company for Rituxan as well. I am also excited but nervous. I don't care much for the "medical" aspect of things as it is but it sounds like generally speaking it isn't too bad. I will have to pay $5000 for my treatment after the insurance company pays their part, which is a lot for me. I guess you can't put a price on living! Thanks for keeping me sane thru this whole ordeal! Kami

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctor said it should be set up in a week or two. I'll be hearing from the nurses about scheduling, next week. I do not know whether it will be 2 or 4 infusions. Sangye - maybe you can give me more info on this.......do they use 2 vs. 4 for people with less organ involvement? Or is it simply a matter of doctor's preference. What are the pro's and con's of 2 vs. 4?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast