Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of ants?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to get rid of ants?

We have Ants burrowing in the concrete sidewalk and foundation along the south side of our house. They are also on the lawn as well. I am wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of these darn things. They are sneaking into the house as well. I liked winter better when there was less bugs to deal with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raid. Or an ant eater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Phil,

We had the same problem a couple of years ago. They came out from under our concrete (we bought the house from some 'old school' Italians who had the front lawn turned into a front conrete lawn - painted green) and into our house. There was this line of ants marching through the living room, it was a little unnerving. We got that ant poision, can't remember the name but just ask at the hardware store (Home Hardware is where we got it) - it's the one you just put a couple of drops down in their path, apparently it's quite yummy to them, they take it back to the nest and it kills them there including the queen. It worked like a charm. I felt guilty for killing off a whole colony of living creatures and - hey, maybe that's why I got WG, karma.... bugger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I know the product you are talking about Marta. Is it a CIL product called Ant Out that comes in a little squeeze bottle?

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of trying boiling water or another product called Spider Ban that I already have some of. But I think I will go with your idea; it sounds promissing.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read recently in those green publications that you can get rid of many ants by spreading corn meal around their hills or trails. they caarry it back to their dens and eat it but can't digest it. Of course it won't work with ants that eat fat or termites that eat wood. I also read somewhere the vinegar and bleach were toxins to ants that won't be as damaging to your lawn or the environment. google ants and you might find other suggestions. I have also used commercial ant traps to protect any pets in the area. The poison is inside but only the ants can reach it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks drz. I think I have heard of the cornmeal before. If Marta's suggestion does not work then I will try the cornmeal and maybe do some googling and send Marta a bunch of ants. LOL
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never tried it, but I've read that if you draw a line of chalk, ants won't cross it. Chalk is cheap, it's worth a try
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except after it rains...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnifying glass and a sunny day.... Little slow, but they won't be cured with even ctx and massive doses of pred.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Magnifying glass and a sunny day.... Little slow, but they won't be cured with even ctx and massive doses of pred.....
    I knew you'd chime in with your wit!
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast