Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Dentist Advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently developed a pain in front tooth number 10. X-RAY didn't show any big abscess but dentist thought it was just starting to die and decay and needed a root canal treatment. Since it was only one tooth he didn't think pain was related to any sinus infection in sinus above the tooth root which sounded reasonable to me. I took antibiotics for several days before the root canal along with PerPro mouthwash rinse twice daily. That seemed to heal up my sore gums and small sore on tongue that I had for a long time.

The tooth hurt worse about 30 hours after the canal but the dentist said it might be sore for a day or two. Now on day three the pain is about the same as day of the root canal which is some what less than day I went in for diagnosis. I hope it settles down soon but know some times they don't when the root canal fails to relieve the pain. I skipped the azathioprine on day of root canal and finished the antibiotic two days after the treatment.

I read about where vasculitis can cause dental pain but that it is rare. Pain can also be referred which seems strange but know that can also happen with dental pain.

My teeth started falling apart from dry mouth and diabetes before the Wegs but the Wegs probably made it worse due to meds we take for Wegs and troubles absorbing calcium.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear drz.
    it takes time to heal from root cananl, prob more then your doc said. mine took a week even before I had WG.
    for us especiialy, healing is more slowly.
    don't worry. but if you do, call your dentist and ask him.
    try to make the area cold. rest. dont eat "hard" foods.
    lots of hugs and prayer heading to you
    please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    That's awful, Michelle. I wonder if another dentist would have a different point of view. Either that, or keep bugging your docs for those letters.

It's not my doctor's fault Anne........I keep forgetting to ask.
    Not sure if it's bad memory or bad memory of dentists that doesn't allow my mouth to ask for the letters.

I will do it - one day
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last century I had major abscesses behind all my upper teeth. Doc wanted to crown all of them but I could not afford it at the time. Eighteen Thou for crowns or Fourteen hundred for upper plate. I got the plate and I really believe that was the beginning of my WG. Any way, been almost fifteen years now and I am wondering if a weggie would be a candidate for dental implants. I have no idea how much they cost or if I could afford it, but just thinking out loud I guess.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    It's not my doctor's fault Anne........I keep forgetting to ask.
    Not sure if it's bad memory or bad memory of dentists that doesn't allow my mouth to ask for the letters.

I will do it - one day
    Well, if you are not suffering pain in your mouth, I guess you are OK for now.... if and when it gets painful, then I reckon you'll remember to ask for the letters! I had to go against my doc's advice because I couldn't walk around with infected, broken teeth in my mouth, and the dentists felt they knew enough about WG that they should and could go ahead. Your docs are probably more savvy than mine and will approve whatever you need for your mouth. As it turned out, when I reported to my doc that I'd had FOUR extractions, not just one, he didn't seem to mind me having made the decision myself. He's full of a lot of big talk about what not to do, but I end up doing what I want, pretty much. He sees me a few minutes every two months and I'm with this 24/7.

I realize, though, that it's your dentist that wants the approval from your docs, and I'm sure it will be able to happen when you feel it's time.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by renidrag View Post
    Last century I had major abscesses behind all my upper teeth. Doc wanted to crown all of them but I could not afford it at the time. Eighteen Thou for crowns or Fourteen hundred for upper plate. I got the plate and I really believe that was the beginning of my WG. Any way, been almost fifteen years now and I am wondering if a weggie would be a candidate for dental implants. I have no idea how much they cost or if I could afford it, but just thinking out loud I guess.
    Dale
    I imagine since you are pretty much in remission, right?, that it might be OK to go ahead with this. Maybe not all at once. And I'm sure it's expensive..... I have no idea.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by renidrag View Post
    Dale
    Last I heard it was about $1K per tooth. Don't know if dentists give out multi tooth discounts. Like the century statement.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dale, am going thru all that right now. I opted for full upper plate and partials below...woulda had them all pulled but dentist talked me into lower partials. No issues with drugs or infections...I'm in medical/chemical remission as of late. Had the choice of implants, but was freaked out by the idea of possible sinus infection from upper implants. The prices range on implants range depending on which dentist and what they can talk you into...noooo, I'm not scared of dentists, just hate their billing practices...but oh well.......
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey DD the right call for the lowers. So glad I still have (some) of mine. I sure could not afford a "full set" of implants, maybe like a Jack o lantern? By the way DD I can still eat corn on the cob, just a little differently. Oh, are you used to change?
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking that there is not enough discussion about the effects of Wegs on the mouth and teeth. Early on after diagnosis my wife complained of dry mouth, cankor sores, no taste, etc. so she went to see her dentist and e actually prescribed a oral mouth wash to help control her mouth. Now her teeth are going bad, and she needs a root canel, and at least 4 crowns. She is totally off all drugs since August 2012 so he just gave her an antibiotic for the root canel next week. Now she uses a mouth wash and a tooth paste called "Bioteen" and last week she bought a water pic as a power floss tool. I don't know if more attention up front or regular use of the tools and products would have prevented any of this, but I'd like to think so. Just a few comments from an interested bystander. It is her mouth! Dennis

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast