Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gadgets and other aids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gadgets and other aids.

What gadgets, aids or special adaptations do you have to help you through the day?

Perhaps the most effective thing I have is a fold down seat in the shower. This makes the whole process so much more enjoyable and of course it is much safer too. I also have a grab rail next to both doors because they both have a step and this helps a lot too. Other than those two things, I get by with my wheel chair and crutches and the help of my family.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got my hearing aids, couldn't be without em!

Other small little gadgets I've picked up here n there to help me out with various day-to-day problems are:
    (load of electric gadgets! lol)

Electric blanket - Sooooo good!
    Electric one touch jar opener + tin/can operner - Very useful for days when my joints are bad.
    Facial steam sauna - for when my sinuses are blocked/dry/painful - Also works wonders for your skin! LOL!
    USB powered heated gloves - Sounds silly but a must for me during winter when I'm working at the pc, keeps my fingers warm n jointpain-free

That's all the little but incredibly helpful things I have that I can think of right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by malin View Post

Electric one touch jar opener + tin/can operner - Very useful for days when my joints are bad.
    We have those for our mum and i didnt really realise how used to them i was til i started my new job and had to start using manual tin openers and couldnt figure out how to work them! Suffice to say i was duly ridiculed for it!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a toilet seat riser that I've used since I first got sick. I'd be in trouble without it, due to weakness and joint pain. I use a cane if I have a particular pain, but it's pretty rare now. I use a walker even more rarely, but it came in very handy last year when I had the severe vertigo. If grocery stores didn't have the electric carts I'd be unable to do my own shopping.

I've considered getting a walker with a seat. I can't go many places because I can't walk far. Walking from bench to bench is too much. I would love to go see the monuments in DC but there's no way I can walk it. I plan to ask my new PCP for advice about this in a couple weeks.

One thing that isn't a gadget but is important for me is that I have no steps at my home. None to get in, and none inside. Steps wear me out quickly, and I couldn't begin to do full stairs on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One I'd like is a 'time lock' on the food cupboards otherwise the only gadget I use is the TV Zapper
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something has got to keep you away from the Jellybabies although i have gained a craze for CRUNCHIES dont know why ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see now. I have the Waterpik, Nebulizer, Squeeze bottle for irrigating when travelling, IV pump, hearing aides, amplifier for phone, closed captioning on TV, electric tooth brush, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an ereader/tablet that alows me to come here without anyone in my family catching on. that is all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and i do have an electic toothbrush as well but that is because my really nice dentist recomends them to all her patients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by malin View Post
    I've got my hearing aids, couldn't be without em!

Other small little gadgets I've picked up here n there to help me out with various day-to-day problems are:
    (load of electric gadgets! lol)

Electric blanket - Sooooo good!
    Facial steam sauna - for when my sinuses are blocked/dry/painful - Also works wonders for your skin! LOL!
    USB powered heated gloves - Sounds silly but a must for me during winter when I'm working at the pc, keeps my fingers warm n jointpain-free

That's all the little but incredibly helpful things I have that I can think of right now
    USB heated gloves. I never heard of such thing but they sound like unique idea. I have a warm mist humidifier that must work the same as the facial sauna and it is great for sinus problems.

I only have 10% hearing in one ear now and without my hearing aid I am deaf. The up side of being deaf is noise doesn't bother me when i try sleep.
    I also use the closed captioning on the TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast