These are some tips I used to give my patients to help them deal with all their doctors. I hope they help!

General Notes
1) The patient’s job is to report symptoms, ask questions, follow instructions and express their needs. The doctor’s job is to make sense of the symptoms and treat accordingly, answer questions, give clear instructions and respond to the patient’s needs.

2) The history is the single most important part leading to a proper diagnosis. It’s also where the majority of medical mistakes occur—important symptoms are ignored, questions are not asked, etc.... Be actively involved when the doctor is taking your history. It's hard to get that chance back later. If you don't feel they're listening, reiterate it. If a symptom is very concerning to you, tell them; don't assume they'll take it seriously otherwise.

3) Regulary get copies of your records. The unbelievable errors you will find get copied into future records. That can lead to a misdiagnosis, or can cause a doctor to begin with the wrong impression about you.

4) Bring a small voice recorder to each doctor appointment or when the doctor sees you in the hospital. You won’t have to memorize as much, and you can review the information several times.

5) You’re not wasting the doctor’s time with your questions. You are quite likely saving your life.

Questions to ask before doing diagnostic tests :
1) What test do you want to order? (write it down)

2) How will the result change your decision-making? (A doctor should never, ever order a diagnostic test unless the results will change their actions.)

3) How is the test done? What are the side-effects and risks? How do the benefits outweigh the risks?

4) Are there less-invasive alternatives?

Questions to ask for any diagnosis :
1) What’s the name? (write it down)

2) What caused it?

3) What’s the treatment? What are the risks and side effects? Are there alternatives?

4) What’s the prognosis?

5) How certain are you that I have it? What else could it be?

6) What is your experience with treating this? (uncomfortable to ask, but necessary)

7) Where can I find more information about it?