User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How long does it take for Rituxan to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How long does it take for Rituxan to work?

I am working on getting Rituxan, now it is just the insurance hurdle. Saw Dr. Langford at Cleveland last week, my Austin doctor now has the treatment plan, and just waiting to see if insurance will let it go or if we have to fight it... My doctor submitted the paperwork today.

After getting the first dose, how long does it take until you feel better? I am just so tired and sickly, and can't wait to feel better. I have read all the posts on here, and see anywhere from one week and then my doctor told me today it could take up to a month. Just curious to see what folks experience has been.

Also has anyone had experience getting this approved through Aetna? Would be such a blessing if they just would let it go on the first try...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say I started feeling a little better after a week and have continued to improve since then. I have been getting labs every 2 weeks and the results keep improving. I had my first infusion Feb.1st. The negative for me has been I have managed to catch two sinus infections since that time which make me feel yucky and mean more meds but I still feel much better than I did a few weeks ago. I hope everything works out for you really soon! I have BCBS and it went through smoothly thank goodness. Hopefully Aetna will be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dr Seo (JHU) said it takes about 6 weeks for rtx to really start working. You might get some relief sooner, but the 6-week mark is when it really takes off.

BTW, other than pred, all the Wegs drugs take at least 4 weeks to begin working. Pred kicks in immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi aewaustin,
    I just spotted your post. From observation, I think everyone is different with how quickly they respond to rtx. My daughter claims she generally feels better very quickly. She has been on rtx since diagnosis in 2006, and our insurance has been with Aetna, Pacificare and now BlueCross through the Texas High Risk Health Pool.
    I think you probably are living in the same moist warm climate that my daughter lives in, so Kathie28 is wise in reporting sinus infection issues. Start using that netipot before you have issues...

Good luck with getting approval, and I hope you feel better soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My consultant advised that it is anything up to 3 months before it kicks in. I had my first infusion a week ago - not noticed anything yet and bloods have not changed either!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rtx only works for 6-12 months. If it didn't start to work for 3 mos it wouldn't be very useful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info everyone! So helpful! It looks like Aetna will approve it, just waiting for paperwork to get finalized. Praying I can get the first dose in the next week or two.

Palmyra I am a huge fan of the Netti pot Living in Austin we have terrible allergies, so I have been using the Netti pot daily for years... My GP says it is the very best thing you can do for allergies, and now since i have sinus involvement for Weg's there is even more reason to use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aewaustin,
    I sent you a private note (look in upper right of the page under notifications..) regarding Ausin area docs and such. I would like to compare notes on medical providers. Also, looks like you have been to the Cleveland Clinic, and she has gone to Mayo....maybe more notes to compare there as well.
    My daughter is due for her forth round of Rituxin and should be scheduling any day.