Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP not being fair...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GP not being fair...

I've been on Methotrexate since June of last year and was going to my local hospital every two weeks for blood monitoring. Bit of a pain as I had to take time off work on a Friday to go. Hospital then passed me to my GP for the monitoring. Great for me as Docs opens at 7.30am for appointments.

To my suprise a letter comes through the post on thursday asking me to start going back to the hospital for monitoring. After phoning the hospital I find out that my GP doesnt want to monitor me as they "dont know what to do with me"... Great !! All they have to do is take blood, not exactly rocket science but as my notes say Wegener's I think they have just panicked. Got to love the NHS !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though my local surgery can take bloods etc. I have always used the facility at the hospital I attend. It seems to work best that way because I always have about six different samples taken, but these vary depending on my condition. If this is all contained within the same clinic it is more flexible and less subject to error. It was a bit of a nuisance having to take time off work, but there was never a problem with this and when appointments stretched out to three months it ceased being any sort of issue at all.

My local GP has no involvement at all in my treatment for Wegs and I only use him to get any referrals that I may need or to get simple things like antibiotics. In the main he just does what I ask of him and issues the prescriptions.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My GP has a similar attitude - he admitted he knows nothing about WG and wants the hospital to oversee all of my care, he wasn't happy that I was referred back to him for a simple diabetes test a couple of months ago because he wasn't sure if treatment would be the same as any other diabetic. Luckily not an issue as it came back fine. All my GP does for me is write repeat prescriptions.
    As I'm now stable and everything is quiet I was wondering about asking if my blood tests could be done through my GP and have him contact the renal clinic if something came up on them, but I don't think he'd want to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    All my GP does for me is write repeat prescriptions.
    Ditto, all my GP does is write the perscriptions, she has no interest in me whatsoever. Any thing other than a routine appointment is too much hassle for her. Her special interest is Paediatrics and Gynaecology and since i dont fall under either of those categories she couldnt be bothered.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They take my blood at the Clinic @ Addenbrookes and then I have interim bloods which are taken at the Village Surgery where I live. All went well until my last interim visit when as I sat there with my sleeve rolled up, the Nurse surprised me by saying that I should have fasted for the blood test. I found out that the GP had stuck his oar into preceedings and cocked the whole thing up. I insisted that this was not the normal way of things and complained that the test was very important as I felt in 'free fall' and was concerned that something was amiss. The Nurse went back to the GP who came up with some '**** and bull' story about missing letters etc. Thankfully we took blood and results turned out nice and normal. You've just gotta keep an eye on these guys!...stilll they are only human.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have my blood tests done at my GP surgery but don't. The main reason is that the hospital I attend is not in the same area as i live (Different trusts). This means that the results can't be sent to the hospital who monitors me. The other reason as I have to go to the hospital pharmacy to collect my Mtx injections so just get the blood test done whilst i'm there.

I really can't see why if both your hospital and gp are in the same trust area why the result info cannot be set up to go to both or just to the hospital. If this is the case i'd question it.
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Geoff how are you? Sorry i've not been on was knocked for 6 these past few cyclo's, fingers crossed i behave myself and dont need it again, but i wont hold my breath pardon the pun! lol

My bloods are done by the community nurses atttached to my surgery,my Gp is very good,but he leaves in june
    Nothing is any trouble, if i dont see or speak to him for a couple of weeks,he phones me. Does all my prescriptions so that i dont have to sit in the hospital pharmacy for ages.
    i think your gp's just being lazy to be honest,you're right to keep an eye on them. i'm prepared to move when he leaves if whoever takes over isnt as vigilant. Especially seeing as my lungs are deteriorating rapidly due to the damage.
    Its good to hear yuor bloods were good,and i hope you are still doing well xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy8241 View Post

I really can't see why if both your hospital and gp are in the same trust area why the result info cannot be set up to go to both or just to the hospital. If this is the case i'd question it.
    I have the same set up , I collect a paper copy from gp and gp sends a fax and e mail to hospital consult usually works

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont get copies of my blood tests results....is this something i should be doing?
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    i dont get copies of my blood tests results....is this something i should be doing?
    I get copies because when i was under a few consultants they always insisted doing bloods and i was beginning to feel like a pin cushion
    and its easier to talk to wg consult when he rings as he is not always at the same hospital with access to results and because i having them done ever month the are resonably upto date
    eg did not have to have done again before cataract op

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast