User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are reasonable expectations from doctors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are reasonable expectations from doctors?

I found out this morning that my local rheum had not done anything to get me an appointment at JH that was supposed to be started working on a month ago. My request for guidance on my returning sinus pain and increased nose bleeding was answered 2 days later (this morning) with instructions to go to my general doctor or find an ENT to check on it. I was supposed to have a follow up appointment 2 weeks ago and they're "trying to find" an appointment for me. At that clinic, if you arrive 15 minutes late you are rescheduled, but wait hours to be seen. My primary care doctor years ago said that's how it is with rheums, too many patients and not enough hours in the day.

Is this typical? What is reasonable to expect from a rheum? If it were my primary doctor, I would have fired him already!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Rheumy is extremely busy, but he always takes the time to make sure he has gone over everything with me. You have a rare disease that deserves a little extra attention in my option. 2 weeks seems ridiculous to "try and find" an appointment, so much can happen and change in 2 weeks. I don't think your expectations are unreasonable at all.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problems with my expectations of what my Rheumy should be doing, his attitude and how often he schedules my appointments. I thought it must be me having unrealistic expectations of him. But then again dont we deserve the best care possible? If you're not getting it from him look elsewhere.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get rid of and find another - we have enough to deal with without unsympathetic/uninterested/uneducated (delete as required!) demi gods . Find one that cares and knows WG, they are out there. Good luck
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy8241 View Post
    Get rid of and find another - we have enough to deal with without unsympathetic/uninterested/uneducated (delete as required!) demi gods . Find one that cares and knows WG, they are out there. Good luck
    Demi gods...what an awesome way of putting it!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Hammy... fire him. Wegs doesn't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there another doctor to help you, your nephrologist, internist, GP, pulmonary doctor etc. ? Some times we can't wait around till they make time for you.

Ask medical records for copies of your records and contact them directly. Most people who come to Mayo are self referred according to their web site so this might work for other big hospitals too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, you have enough to think about without being troubled by an unsympathetic doctor. Is he the only rheumy available to you?
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldnt have been referred to Addenbrooks if i hadnt persisted in asking for it. And my Rheumy still doesnt know i've been!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sam - you have come on a long way in the past 6 months. Your new attitude is going to help you a lot.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast