User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What causes Wegener's Granulomatosis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right Sangye that stress cannot be the only factor. I think stress weakens the immune system to a very low level of efficioency, add to this a infection of sorts and WG arrives.
    I remember just prior to Wegs hitting me hard, I was thinking to myself that if I did not do something about stress levels, which were work related, I was going to do damage to myself, and next thing is Wegs knocks me down

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think stress does have some effect on the immune system and anyone who has had a cold sore (herpes simplex 1) will tell you the same thing. Cold sores are viral, but they seem to have a way of erupting during times of stress.

As for my WG -- I had been retired for 4 years when my WG was diagnosed. I retired in '06 and I think the WG may have begun in '08, but I wasn't dx'ed until April '10. I was under absolutely no stress. I'm financially secure, I was healthy, and I was having the time of my life.... So stress wasn't a factor for me.....

Santo, Texas (60 miles west of Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our stories are very similar. I'm 64 now but I retired at 60. I sold my company in 2004 and worked for the new owner as part of the deal until 2006 when I retired, sold my house in town and moved to the ranch in the country. I'm well off and loving being outdoors=no stress. We were both in excellent health, traveling, and enjoying our wealth and our grandkids, spending time with friends and active in our church. We were traveling in Portland Oregon in Aug. of 2010 when I first had to be hospitalized (twice during the month) with symptoms not properly diagnosed until late in January of this year.
    J. Mike Milliorn, Santo Texas
    Diagnosed Jan. 2011
    at the Cleveland Clinic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK vdub and J.Mike. How about anti stress? Hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that might work.... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Medscape they list a number of common background traits, like exposure to chemicals, living in northern regions, and agriculture. Heck, all of us are exposed to chemicals...unless you live in the middle of the desert or jungle. The common "line" from the medical community is no knows cause, it is not hereditary, and does not transmit. Oh, by the way A+ blood type. Remember, you can hear anything on the news now a days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.... I grew up on a farm in North Idaho. I "think" I am A+, but, honestly, I have to look on my dog tags to be sure. That's one thing I just can't seem to remember. And, I don't have my dog tags with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in a rural area, but it wasn't farmland. Although we did have a large kitchen garden that I'm sure got routinely saturated with fun stuff like DDT and malathion and all the other yummy pesticides that have since been banned. I remember my dad complaining when they banned DDT. (And I'm O+.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember my dad complaining when they banned DDT.
    I remember the same complaint. BUT, if we ever need it, we still know how to make the stuff....

As an interesting aside, which sends this thread way of course, but just a bit of trivia.... Prior to MSDOS, the most popular small computer operating system was CP/M. It had a program debugging tool called Dynamic Debugging Tool (DDT). Who said nerds didn't have a sense of humor?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011