User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What causes Wegener's Granulomatosis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son got JD when he was 8. He took it better than us and was giving his own shots within about a month. He got a pump when he was 10 and that freed him and us from a lot of worry. He's 28 now, has a Phd in nuclear theory and works in the defense industry doing "what ever you want to imagine".... :-)

Santo, Texas (60 miles west of Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean, S.M. I used to try to figure it out, too. Haven't seen anything that is definitive. I think the "triggers" post is right on. Something triggers your existing disposition to it, but once you know you have it , controlling it is all that matters since it isn't curable. I think a bad spider bite triggered mine. Right afterward, I started having symptoms of WG.
    J. Mike Milliorn, Santo Texas
    Diagnosed Jan. 2011
    at the Cleveland Clinic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmmilliorn View Post
    I know what you mean, S.M. I used to try to figure it out, too. Haven't seen anything that is definitive. I think the "triggers" post is right on. Something triggers your existing disposition to it, but once you know you have it , controlling it is all that matters since it isn't curable. I think a bad spider bite triggered mine. Right afterward, I started having symptoms of WG.
    I also had a bad insect bite. I started have aches in the joints so they suspected Lyme's disease and treated me for that twice. Then the tests came back that it was not Lyme's disease. So then they figured it was probably a bad reaction to a spider bite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about in the Genes? My mother in Law had a Auto Immune disorder. My friend has Lupus and her sister also has an Auto immune disorder. The Rhemy told us defenitely in the Genes!

Santo, Texas (60 miles west of Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter has MS. Can't think of any other blood relatives with auto immune.
    J. Mike Milliorn, Santo Texas
    Diagnosed Jan. 2011
    at the Cleveland Clinic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    I was talking with a fellow weggie a few nights ago about the cause of WG... He was interested in the trend between the education system and auto-immune disorders. This would definitely apply to me. I grew up getting strep about twice a year. But I got more and more sick when I started college and lived in the dorms. I went on to be a Resident Assistant at one of the dorms. So I was always around people.... sleeping and breathing in everything around me. Also, the stress involved in education could be a big reason as to why the immune system is compromised. Just an idea... Anyone else in education or something relative to it?
    I'm an A+ and I see a lot of chemicals as a swimmer & working with stained glass. Anything b4 3 years back & I was 100% healthy. I never got anything. I had the flue 1 time when I was 14. Then I started getting strep 2 times a year. Last year they took out my tonsils. I have spent this year smashing my ER records and X-rays, making up for all the healthy time. AI's are more then common in my family also.
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it is in the jeans! I wear Mavis and Buffalos and have not seen it in them. LOL
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have worked in construction for over 30 years. I think exposure to some types of dust may be a factor in causing WG however I suspect it is a cause in a very small fraction of sufferers as large numbers of people work in this business yet the disease is very rare. Personally I put the reason in my case down to one thing and one thing only "STRESS". Anybody agree?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress is definitely bad for you and is known to disrupt the immune system. It might have played some role in you getting Wegs. I believe it did for me. It can't be the only factor though, or Wegs would be epidemic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no doubt that stress contributed to both of my flares. There has to be some other underlying issue, however, otherwise every doctor and teacher and CEO and public employee and case worker and policeman and fireman and engineer etc. etc. etc. in the world would have WG!

ETA: LOL, Sangye, we posted at almost the same time.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast