Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling with Pred Mood Swings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daggar i was diagnosed in May last year.

But it had been a possibility for 3 years.

Thinking it might be a good idea for counselling. Will ring my GP asap.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After months of mood swings I finally saw I was having issues after blowing up at my son and then my dog of all things. I got put on Cellexa <sp?> and it made a GIANT difference for me. I also have to honestly say that I was suffering from more depression/anxiety than I thought I was.

Not that I still don't get mad, but what previously resulted in uncontrolled rants is now resulting in momentary annoyance that I'm able to move on from pretty quickly.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You brought up a good point, Bob-- that many people don't realize how depressed and/or anxious they feel. Depression doesn't necessarily look like we think, and neither does anxiety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have to say I'm pretty notorious about not recognizing things. I have an image in my head about what something is and I totally disregard things if they don't match my pre-conceived notion. Like the fact that I had always linked some sort of excruciating pain with shortness of breath, so when I had shortness of breath I didn't recognize it as anything. Doctor made fun of me a bit on that one

Not sure i haven't always had some anger issues anyway. The prednisone definitely made it worse for sure, but I've always had a bit of a weird thing where the anger or fury or whatever seemed like it took on a life of it's own. Mind you I'm actually a pretty laid back mild mannered guy, but when it did break it was generally pretty ugly. Prednisone just drug it right to the forefront and made it VERY obviously a problem.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it is fairly "new" having to deal with all that comes with having WG at a "young" age -- and yes 25 is waaaaaay young!

Check with the hospital that you were diagnosed with because the family/medical counsellors they have to deal with long-term illnesses are amazing.

The nice thing is that they usually interact with the doctors and the medical team and know "more" about the respective treatments (drug side effects).

I wish you all the best and I'm sure they'll be able to help you!

Your comments bring up an important question -- I've read that up to 50% of those diagnosed with WG go on to a complete remission.

Has anyone experienced this or know of those who have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh... The Pred-rage..... this is probably the worst symptoms ive had, and all the otther people ive taked to agree....

But the sad thing is, i don't know whether i'm just naturally a nasty person, or if it is the pred! LOL

I'm a redheaded, 15 year old girl.... yah, do you feel bad for my dad? i know i do...

But whats been getting worse is the anxiety. Ive never had an issue with anxiety like i did with anger beefore i stared pred, but now i will feel anxiety during the day and end up waking up in the middle of the night and having an anxiety attack. Is anyone else having that? should i tell my doctor?

Thannks,
    Little weggie (thanks marta for the nickname lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holly, anger and anxiety (and also depression) are very normal with pred. It's also normal to suddenly start crying when happy or sad. I've had all of that and it does make your life really hard. I can't imagine being a teenager with it, though. You've got more hormones zipping around and fewer life experience tools to use to deal with it. I suggest you ask your doc about it. It's helped me a lot to go to a therapist also. I've been going weekly since I started treatment in 2006.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

freakyschoolgirl and Ginger,

I am very impressed with your maturity and ability to 'self reflect'. Anxiety and depression are my own personal bugaboo's, and I am not the one with Weg! I try, with some limited success to avoid depression, but it is a struggle at times. I really agree with Sangye that it simply gets worse if you don't deal with it, and that might involve adding an additional medication (Ugh!). But, if it may help avert a more serious depressive disorder, well worth investigating.

PS....love the nickname

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nasty?? That's pretty harsh .... trouble expressing yourself or what you're feeling.... yes.

We've got a "wake me up no matter what" policy that "Little Ginger Weggie" needs to implement..... I'm a very light sleeper and it doesn't bother me at all.

The therapist at the clinics we attend is always there as well -- don't be afraid to ask!!

Having said all that - considering that you're receiving 35mg/day of oral pred and being hit with an additional 1g of methylpred every month you're doing "amazingly" well!!!!

Thankfully, the oral dose is now coming down with each treatment ....

I questioned them about the large dosage at first but Holly's serum creatinine levels have dropped to the lowest since diagnosis (98) so I'm biting my tongue!!

Only April-May-June to go....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daggar View Post
    So it is fairly "new" having to deal with all that comes with having WG at a "young" age -- and yes 25 is waaaaaay young!

Check with the hospital that you were diagnosed with because the family/medical counsellors they have to deal with long-term illnesses are amazing.
    Thanks Daggar but i feel SOOOO OLD! lol. Think i have an old soul. I feel much better in the last week, but i see Addenbrooks on friday so i will be mentioning it to them.

Holly's beaten me to it now, being 15. Holly you deserve a pat on the back to be as grounded as you are, facing this so young. And your dad should expect the odd mood swing now and then, you are a teenager after all, teen years are the only real age you can get away with it, so embrace it. lol (Sorry Holly's dad!) And Holly you definately arnt a nasty person by nature.

Palmyra i always self reflect, i think way too much, its one of my worst traits and normally i end up over analysing things.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast