User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neti pot question (really gross, sorry)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Neti pot question (really gross, sorry)

Still waiting to hear back if I am going to be blessed with a JH appointment, but in the meantime...

Finally got over the indignity of the neti pot and have been using it at least once a day. Most of what comes out is thick semi-congealed blood. It takes nearly 2 pots of water to flush it all out. Then the "clean" water is tinged pink with blood. It's like I have a constant ooze of blood that is not enough to cause an official bloody nose but enough to fill my face with it. Last week it was lots of gunk that looked like sinus infection with some blood, more of a yellowish brown. Could the act of rinsing be irritating me, or maybe the powder (saline etc that comes in packets with the pot) is irritating my nose? Or the gunk was just slowing the bleeding? Or is this yet another new symptom? Am I getting addicted to a clear nose and making it worse?

Great thing is my pain is nearly gone except for nasty twinges that go away quickly. I'm just getting really paranoid without any concrete primary diagnosis and nobody having much clue what do with me.

Also, nothing to do with the neti pot but I have developed what I believe is Reynaud's in my fingers and toes (on the right, just like all my other symptoms). Cold and clammy then firey hot, prickling, tingly pain and bright red. Nothing constant just a few times over the last couple days. I know that prednisone does crazy stuff but this is new for me. Any thoughts on that?

If they haven't already, they'll sign me up for hypochondriac before long!
    Last edited by LilyPony; 02-25-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the neilmed sinus rinse everyday, sometimes 2-4 times per day. As far as I know, there isn't any harm. I was told to use it from my ENT and also Mayo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ENT at Addenbrookes told me i could use Neilmed 1-2 times a day.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to rinse twice a day or whenever required and I don't think I had any bad effects. The stuff that comes out is always gross and bloody, but it is better out than in! Make sure that the mixture strength is correct and that the water is warm.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, thanks everybody. I'm using the nielmed and mixing it precisely with warm water. I was just concerned about what I was seeing and making sure I coudlnt' be making it worse. At least it's coming out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPony View Post
    Okay, thanks everybody. I'm using the nielmed and mixing it precisely with warm water. I was just concerned about what I was seeing and making sure I coudlnt' be making it worse. At least it's coming out!
    In my experience once you start to clear out the ugly junk, more healing takes place and you end up with clearer flushes and much less junk. I think the biggest risk is if you use too much force you might push crap into Eustachian tubes or spread an infection, but gentle washes shouldn't do any harm when done with correct mixture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ENT at Cleveland Clinic told me that moisture is the enemy of advancing disease in the nose. He sent me home with instructions to irrigate my nose 2-3 times a day with a toomey syringe - saline/mupiricin solution - (he actually told me that the netipot wasn't aggressive enough for Wegs patients.) I also have a nasal cream that I apply with a q-tip 4 times a day. My nose was exuding crud that sounds similar to your experience but I have had vast improvement in the last two weeks using Dr. Knott's regimen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Wegs ENT said the neti pot is fine (though I don't have major nose involvement).

You can use a neti pot as much as you want, as long as you are using water at the proper temp (lukewarm--never hot or cold) and the proper amount of salt. If you have a cold or sinus infection, you can use it many times a day.

Jack once said not to blow your nose really hard to get the water out---does lots of damage. I didn't know that but my nose has done better since following his advice. After you do the rinse, lean your head forward and without holding either nostril closed, blow out your nose. You can't blow too hard if you do it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually have to blow fairly hard during irrigating with Waterpik to get the chunks and crusts out. Otherwsie I would be irrigating for about an hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is all quite a long time ago now, but I seem to remember that soaking was the answer and if you put off the final clearing for 5 minutes (just drip over the bowl) it all comes out more easily.
    Jack

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast