Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is crusting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crusting can mean different things to people. Bloody crusts that bleed with visible blood are more indicative of active or at least residual Wegs activity. Very little flecks of blood in rinses might result from dried mucous that has stuck to inside of nasal passages and cause a small amount of bleeding when it is dislodged. The more gentle the rinses, the less likely for this type of crusting to result in visible bleeding. Once Wegs has attacked your sinuses they are damaged so the mechanism to move mucous out doesn't work like it did before and the mucous will collect and dry onto inside of nasal passages. When these crusts that have built up are dislodged, bleeding can result even if the Wegs is in remission. Trying to keep the nasal passages moist and trying to avoid forceful dislodging of crusts should help reduce the problem and trauma inside the nose. Using humidifiers when air is dry, saline sprays, nasal rinses, and even insertatiion of a surgical jell or other moistening agent to soften crusts and help prevent them building up can all help reduce crusting problem.

I have a long history of ear and sinus infections before I got the Wegs which really made things much worse. I learned the above info from hundreds of visits to various ENT doctors over many decades. My worst nose bleed happened a year or two before I got diagnosed when an ENT doctor that didn't suspect Wegs thought he could help stop my crusting by cauterizing the area. When that scab dislodged, I spent the night in ER trying to stop a huge nosebleed.
    Last edited by drz; 07-27-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comprehensive overview of crusting, drz. Sounds like I've tried a little too hard to get the crusts out sometimes and will try to be more gentle. Sorry you had that bad experience with that particular ENT doc! Sounds awful.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456