User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I have concerns about possible dental surgery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Middlesista View Post
    My RA took me off Bactrim when I started MTX. I am finally going to MGH tomorrow to see one of their vasculitis docs and plan to ask him about this.
    MGH doc agreed with keeping me off Bactrim while on the MTX

They r recommending 1gm of amoxicillin before having cavity filled however. That was from the dentist but have to check with my RA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm on
    Cytoxan now and I just told my doctor I'm taking a drug holiday after the infusions are done. Just so I can deal with my teeth. I wouldn't trust what the doctors say even though my general surgeon said I can't get my hernia operation done until I'm off the chemo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crowneagle View Post
    I'm on
    Cytoxan now and I just told my doctor I'm taking a drug holiday after the infusions are done. Just so I can deal with my teeth. I wouldn't trust what the doctors say even though my general surgeon said I can't get my hernia operation done until I'm off the chemo.
    They will do it if the hernia gets straped and life threatening. Other wise any elective things will be postponed.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had the tooth out, all seems okay, but had a flare with eyesight loss, so now on 50 mg. of prednisone and other stuff as well. Next going to have this 6 pulse treatment with cyclophosphamide. Little nervous about that, need to read up on it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaNel View Post
    Had the tooth out, all seems okay,
    So glad everything went OK.

Next going to have this 6 pulse treatment with cyclophosphamide. Little nervous about that, need to read up on it.....
    Can you talk to your doctor and try to see if you can get Rituxan instead of the cytoxin? There are far less side effects with RTX than with the cytoxin chemo...

Not sure if the approved standard protocol still states that CTX first and the on to Rituxan?!?!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks To all who responded to my query, and HI Mike, from Illinois, my husband likes your scooter! That'd speed us up, he said....we are in Southern Ontario Canada, good hospitals here, but public medicine a wonderful thing for something like Wegener's, but they decide your treatment.......I asked about the Rituximab and was told the government mandates the cyclophosphomate first, then if it fails, the Rituximab, which they said is $20,000 - I forget whether it was for a year, or a set of treatments. We do have some private insurance through my husband's work, so if it comes to it, hopefully it is available. ..#everydayisanewadventure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks To all who responded to my query, and HI Mike, from Illinois, my husband likes your scooter! That'd speed us up, he said....we are in Southern Ontario Canada, good hospitals here, but public medicine a wonderful thing for something like Wegener's, but they decide your treatment.......I asked about the Rituximab and was told the government mandates the cyclophosphomate first, then if it fails, the Rituximab, which they said is $20,000 - I forget whether it was for a year, or a set of treatments. We do have some private insurance through my husband's work, so if it comes to it, hopefully it is available. ..#everydayisanewadventure!
    Big scooter (BMW) or the other scooter I used to use here at the office? (-8

I thought cytoxin must be the first strike protocol. I didn't know if they had changed things yet. I've had 12 RTX treatments and two more the next few weeks (one tomorrow) and one on my birthday on June 3. $28k, WOW! I am blessed to have good insurance through the college where I work. Without the insurance, we would have surely lost our house by now. )-8

Remember to drink a lot and pass a lot. CTX does have a side effect of bladder cancer if it stays in your bladder too long. My hair never fell out completely, but did get very thin when I was on it. I took the pill form and that was a little less toxic--but it was for 6 months! (sigh) If you have the strength, get up and move every day. I lost so much muscle mass that I wish that I had pushed myself a little harder during the high dose pred days. Pred will deplete your muscle mass and add on a bunch of puff weight. (Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man Syndrome)

I hope you are on the right path towards a healthier new normal.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cytoxan seems to work a little faster for some people than RTX. The idea is to get the thing under control, then can switch to another med if it makes more sense. I've heard of cases of CTX and RTX being used together.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hullo Andrew, I tried to post a profile pix today, but it failed......no scooter in mine, unfortunately Mike. Will try again tomorrow...Thanks for he notes, Grandmanel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had the tooth out, all seems okay, but had a flare with eyesight loss, so now on 50 mg. of prednisone and other stuff as well. Next going to have this 6 pulse treatment with cyclophosphamide. Little nervous about that, need to read up on it.....
    Had you had problems with eyesight before GrandmaNel? Doc at MGH and my PCP told me not unusual for flares to present with original symptoms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123