Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back In, Back Out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been taking Bactrim (Co-trimoxazole) for many years. It is an antibiotic and has stopped me from getting all the little infections that used to trouble me every few months. I don't know why it would be taken on its own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My rheumy at Mayo (Arizona) wanted me to add Bactrim to the Cellcept I take. He said research had showed it helped control Wegs, giving credence to the "infection hypothesis" about one cause of Wegs. I didn't tolerate it well, so didn't stay on it.

My JHU rheumy hasn't mentioned it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it is not available in some countries because it can have very serious side effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tolerated Bactrim okay at a prophylactic dose with the cytoxan. But in 2007, I was on more than 13 rounds of antibiotics (many used simultaneously) and I've not been able to tolerate it since. Thankfully, I haven't had repeated infections. Glad it's keeping yours under control, Jack!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bactrim 3 times a week

Since an eye problem I have been taking Bactrim 3 times a week. When I said to the doc who suggested it, that I don't get colds etc and that I'd rather not go on Bactrim, he said there are things much worse than colds when you have Wegs. So I said OK I'll have those thankyou!!!! Just three a week doesn't seem to create a problem for me - I had expected to get thrush but everything seems OK. Carol

Doug Guest

Default worse things than colds when you have WG

Carol- And how! Your doctor has it right! If you dig around in another part of this dialogue, you'll read about what I went through from late October 2007 to present. When surgery became inevitable to remove part of my right mandible, Rheumatologists from Unversity Hospital (Denver- where I had treatment in 2004 that brought me back) and oral surgeons from Denver Health, working with what my pulmonologist had to tell them about my need for surgery and their knowledge of Weggies in remission decided to pull me off Cellcept. They left me on Bactrim, which has been my only remission drug. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are my Bactrim days.
    Last edited by Doug; 03-21-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12