Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone and the risk of Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prednisone and the risk of Diabetes

When I started on Preds last month, my doctor mentioned that it can raise my risk of getting diabetes while on it, so I should watch my sugar intake. I'm curious, does this include artificial sweeteners like Splenda? Diabetics can replace sugar with Splenda in recipes to continue to enjoy their favorite sweet treats without causing harm to their bodies, is this the same for me on Preds? I love to bake, I find it therapeutic, and I want to satisfy my sweet tooth...a two birds with one stone kinda thing...
    My doc didn't have much of an opinion on it, so I was just wondering if anyone else has had this conversation with their doc?
    Thanks.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    Yes prednisone cause high blood sugar, or steroid–induced diabetes. This usually resolves when the steroids are decreased or discontinued.
    Splenda is sucralose and sucralose apparently does not affect blood glucose control or insulin levels.
    But i guess it depends of the quantity of prednisone you are taking daily and also your weight and your health in overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true. I'm not a fan of Splenda or other artificial sweeteners, though. Can you use natural sweeteners? Stevia is a good one but there are others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My blood sugars were high on prednisone and once prednisone is reduced usually the blood sugars are in normal range. I purchased a glucometer to keep tract of my glucose levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never developed steroid induced diabetes, and I have an infamous sweet tooth. And of course the steroids make you ravenous all the time! It's a good thing to watch out for, though, especially if it runs in your family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had steroid-induced diabetes that was only a problem whenever I was hospitalized for the first few months after dx. I'd need insulin in the hospital, but as soon as I got home (literally by the next morning) my glucose was down to 80. Stress can raise glucose and those initial hospitalizations were incredibly stressful. It's never been a problem since, even when I had to go back on 60 mg pred last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sangye..mine was like that too..i tollerate pred good..but i still hate to be dependant on it..rather not be on it all together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't tolerate pred well at all. I don't get the increased energy most people do, even at higher doses. It just makes me weaker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the feedback. I do like the idea of a more natural sweetener, I will have to look into the Stevia and others like that.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicShaf View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I do like the idea of a more natural sweetener, I will have to look into the Stevia and others like that.
    Agave made from cactus is market for this use and is suppose to have lower glycemic index than sugars. It tastes good.

I had diabetes for years before Wegener's disease and the prednisone sure misses up my BG levels and makes managing the diabetes very difficult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast