Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prednisone and the risk of Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been diabetic (type 2) for several years now. Last year I had bariatric surgery and the diabetes disappeared with the weight...right til I started on the Pred :/ At any rate I started Metformin again and it seems to handle the levels just fine with Prednisone being the only major factor in the blood suger getting out of wack. As of this time my A1C levels have never been out of normal range, just my short term glucose levels. I need to start checking more regularly now that I'm down to 10mg a day of Prednisone.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my latest Renal appt last week it was noted that my glucose levels have been high on my last few blood tests due to the pred. I am waiting for my GP to send me for a fasting glucose test to confirm steroid induced diabetes, which is a bit of a bummer. My Dad, Nan and Grandad have all been diagnosed with Type 2, and being overweight I figured it was only a matter of time but thought I had another 20 years or so before having to deal with it (and hopefully in that time losing enough weight to lower my risk).

If it is confirmed we will start by trying to control it through diet, but may also end up on Metformin which would actually mean I would get all my prescriptions for free including my Wegs meds. Here the National Health Service grants free prescriptions for a handful of conditions which includes Diabetes if it needs to be controlled with medication.

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome of the tests, fingers crossed eh?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    At my latest Renal appt last week it was noted that my glucose levels have been high on my last few blood tests due to the pred. I am waiting for my GP to send me for a fasting glucose test to confirm steroid induced diabetes, which is a bit of a bummer. My Dad, Nan and Grandad have all been diagnosed with Type 2, and being overweight I figured it was only a matter of time but thought I had another 20 years or so before having to deal with it (and hopefully in that time losing enough weight to lower my risk).

If it is confirmed we will start by trying to control it through diet, but may also end up on Metformin which would actually mean I would get all my prescriptions for free including my Wegs meds. Here the National Health Service grants free prescriptions for a handful of conditions which includes Diabetes if it needs to be controlled with medication.

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome of the tests, fingers crossed eh?!
    I hope you don't have it. I have had diabetes for years. Only upside is that it helped prepare me for all the changes i had to accept with Wegener's disease. Metformin can work great to help control blood glucose levels but it has big risk if you ever need a CT scan cause the dye can damage your kidneys. This happened to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12